Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question was sent via Shell website following the topic on this BB.

Hello!,
Most of the owners on Saabscene swear by this fuel. Somebody has stated that it degrades and also someone posted this--..
" Just to add another thought to the Optimax debate, I work at the BP refinery in Essex and we supply Shell with all their fuel, this was a deal signed up when Shell Haven closed down (we also supply Texaco and many other independants/supermarkets). The guys there, know nothing about Optimax, Shell fuel comes out of the same tank as BP etc.. So I guess it must be some sort of additive, so the theory that it "goes off" could be true!! ". Would you please put our minds to rest about this.

Reply was :- I can confirm that Shell Optimax is exclusively refined at the Stanlow Refinery in Cheshire, this is not available from any other refinery or at competitor petrol stations. Where ever Optimax is sold in the UK it will have been produced at Stanlow. The reference to BP supplying fuel applies only to diesel and premium unleaded, this is supplied as a basic grade, Shell will then add our own detergents package.
Optimax gains the higher octane value by further refining and not by the use of octane boosters.
All fuels will degrade over time, this is typically after six months of storage. Sites normally receive two or more deliveries of over 8,000 litres of Optimax each week, so it would not have time to degrade.
Regards
Matthew Wagster
Customer Service Professional
Shell U.K. Oil Products Limited.
Perhaps this should put our minds at rest on this fuel.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes, very interesting, and puts our minds at rest. Also, that Shell Premium Unleaded comes from BP - but with Shell additives.

NB: I was buying Optimax in Hull at 75.9p/litre!
Unleaded is 72.9p

Have 5 more stars -sarge!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]damn, I've already given you five stars!        

Someone else give CarlyKeith five stars, please.[/qb][/b]
But Five Star (and I'm not referring to the cheesy 80's pop combo) was phased out some years ago
hence why we've got Optimax. So perhaps the top rating should now be "Optimax", a bit like

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.