Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is another optimax running but this is to let you know that optimax goes on sale in Paisley (nr Glasgow) from friday certain garages will displaying the 2000 ferrari that the schmacker drove

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I saw the optimax car at the Shell garage at the airport (Paisley),now bad at all!.
It is quite bit more expensive (about 77ishp) but is it worth it?,I have a 2.3 auto 91',I was also thinking about this ecotek thing.
Would using this optimax really make any diffirence or is it just Shell's way of making you pay even more for something with nothing more than a fancy name!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Evo magazine did an article on this very subject. They checked the performance of three very different cars before using Optimax for the first time. They also inspected the inlet valves of each cylinder and photographed the deposits on each (Shell claim Optimax cleans the engine as well).
The cars were then run on Optimax for 1500 miles and the performance test and cylinder inspection was carried out again.
In each case performance gains were made. These varied, but up to 1 sec off the 20mph acceleration increment was recorded. Also the deposits on the back of the inlet valves were greatly reduced.
Hope this answers some questions. But I expect it will just bring up some new ones!!
Nick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
went and saw the f1 car turned out just to be a test car that ferarri make for promotion work

looks the pat though , sad to say they were not giving out any free samples

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm on my 4th tankful of Optimax now and I have noticed slightly better performance. I am definitely not getting any better economy. 297 miles to 58.6 litres = something like 23mpg. Now I admit, I have been enjoying myself - but 23 mpg!!

Stu

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Search for your nearest Optimax shell station here  [/b]
I did a search and found that there are no Shell Stations selling Optimax within a 250 km radius of my house. It didn't offer to search any farther so it looks like it mught be awhile before I find out what it's about.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Despite what the website says, Optimax made an appearance in Dundee yesterday afternoon at the Caird Park filling station. I would imagine that it will also be somewhere in Aberdeen by now too.
I filled up an almost empty tank on the way in to work this morning; I'll find out if there is any improvement on the way home tonight. Although to be honest 'll be surprised if there is not because the higher octane, over the unleaded I've been using ,should enable the APC to run a higher boost.
I'll give it a try in the bike and see what it does, any performance gains will be more noticeable on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
guys, what was the outcome on this board about changing to optimax then ?? any bad experiences, poor running, cutting out, poor starting ??

I ask because their is a thread running on scoobynet now suggesting this by a lot of car owners. Unfortunatly for me the day I got my car back with a chip & full decat, KnN etc, optimax came out & I started using it, since then I have had cut out problems, & stuttering on boost...
don't know if it is optimax or mods??

I was going to try super unleaded (which I used prior to the mods) again for a month or so & probably will to see if it corrects the problems.

shunty

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.