Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so mum and dad dropped a bombshell last night that they are getting a new car, they are still keeping the SAAB, mum is using it as her work car, the car she will spend 90% of her time in. The other car we have, really needs to go, its an 04 Vauxhall Zafira, is on its last legs, it will be cleaned up and sold off and the money put towards the new car

The new car will be the main family car, the good 'weekend' car.

They are in their 50s and basically want something a little fancy, something that will turn a few heads.

So, they asked me for suggestions and i came up with these 2.

I did also suggest a new 9-5 Aero TTiD but with the cost of them being very similar to the Beemer and Merc, the possible parts issue and lets face it, not great residual values because of the obvious SAAB isues, dad has discarded it, which is a shame as its something a bit different than the big german execs. I think though, dropping 20g's on a new 9-5 would be financial suicide.

Mum likes the beemer, dad likes the merc lol

So they have a bit of a dilemma here, i like both lol

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
tbh I like the shape of the new mercs but imo it would be beamer for me, I would also consider an A4

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Since it's going to be a weekend car how about thinking something out of the box maybe and go for a convertible of some sort rather than a sensible saloon type, maybe a jag? They always seem to turn heads

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it's going to be a weekend car how about thinking something out of the box maybe and go for a convertible of some sort rather than a sensible saloon type, maybe a jag? They always seem to turn heads
Jag is too 'old man' and i think i'd cringe if i saw mum and dad in a convertible haha

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Prefer the looks of the Merc, the BM is a better drivers car, neither would turn my head or get a second glance.

If leasing i would think the Merc has better residuals - keener pricing.

Both very competent.

As for an Audi - will always be the poor relation and generality driven by people with chips on their shoulders wearing shiny suits ;)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prefer the looks of the Merc, the BM is a better drivers car, neither would turn my head or get a second glance.

If leasing i would think the Merc has better residuals - keener pricing.

Both very competent.

As for an Audi - will always be the poor relation and generality driven by people with chips on their shoulders wearing shiny suits ;)
I think all of them are suit [email protected] cars lol, even my saab has been called that before - probably something to do with the fact i wear a suit to work.. anyway my point being, is that they are all cocks cars and whilst my parents are not cocks, its what best suits their wants.

They've worked all their lives and they dont want to be putting down a load of money on a new Vauxhall or a Ford, whilst theres nothing really wrong with a Vauxhall or Ford, those type of mainstream cars dont really say 'Ive worked so hard and earned this car', if you can see what i mean.

The main criteria i think, is something that looks a bit snazzy on their drive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Beemer won't get a second glance from most people these days. Not really considered special anymore as they a two a penny.

The Merc will stand out a bit more. Personally the newer Jag XF stands out much more and will get more second looks. British too.

Audi's now have the reputation that the Beemer had a few years ago, and outside of the RS models are just seen as corporate Euro boxes.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
whats a rough budget? f type is about 60-100k ish think the one i looked at was 93k at local dealer funny enough they didnt think i was a serious buyer :) showed me the xf's

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
whats a rough budget? f type is about 60-100k ish think the one i looked at was 93k at local dealer funny enough they didnt think i was a serious buyer :) showed me the xf's

you just made me spit and choke on my amber nectar juice:eek:........................fook fook

1 - 16 of 16 Posts