Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

oops, stuffed it!

Tags
oops stuffed
5K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  aeropilot 
#1 ·
Put in ito the back of a seat Teoledo this morning .
I suspect it's a write off. Anyone know what the book price is on a 1997 2.3T CSE Anniversary with 117k on it ?

(looks like this now)

#4 ·
sorry to hear that happypig . I hope everyone is OK.

I agree it's a write off- I had a similar shunt back in 2000 with a 7 yo 9000. Les damage, but written off as the parts bill alone was over £3k. The insurers first offered me £4,500, but I pointed out to them it was in VGC, etc and got another £500 added on to the settlement. Whatever they offer you, haggle!

Again, top whack trade will be about £4500-£5k

#7 ·
Thanks all.
I was going about 40 when it happened. The Seat had quite a bit of rear-end damage.
There was only me in it and I'm not really hurt (apart from my pride) although I got a couple of small burns on my arms from the airbag.

Better start looking about for a new car then...
(Another 9000, a 900 ragtop or something else, I wonder)

#8 ·
Not sure about the legality of it, but if they do write your car off, swap the wheels before they tow it away!
-------------------------------------------------
But make sure they're still on when the insurance assessor visits or he'll value it down. Once he's valued it & written it off, there'll be a few days before the recovery truck takes it away - & goodness knows how many useful bits will go missing whilst its standing there unsecured . Take out your music immediately though, it'll make zero difference to the car's pre-accident valuation assessment.
Shame though, looked in superb condition

#9 ·
I've put the standard radio cassette back in (I had a CD/MP3 player in it).
As to swapping the wheels, as Kryten would say "It's a great plan with only 2 major flaws :
1. I don't have any wheels to replace it with and
2. I don't have any wheels to replace it with.

Admittedly it's only one flaw but it's such a big one it's worth mentioning twice"

The garage are coming tomorrow morning to take it away for assessment.
I did try ringing the tyre place to see if they still had my old tyres but no joy (Had a set of 4 Toyo proxes fitted last week - £330 )

#10 ·
My commiserations too...

But what happened to your 8 spoke Anniversary Alloys, and why is your car wearing three spokes?

Just curious, cos I'm planning on replacing my 9000 (1997 2Lt ECO) Anniversary wheels with a set of 3 spokes very similar to yours!

B-regards,
Paul.

#11 ·
My motor was recovered home on a flatback - it was an obvious write off as it was 3/4 flat. The assessor inspected it here, advised me the amount the insurance would pay out - & then told me to remove anything I wanted before the recovery vehicle collected it. I guess you aren't going to get that opportunity because they must think it might be repairable if they're taking it to a garage for an assessment (they can't be aware of the roof kink). If you think the car might still be worth more to you than a trade buyer would pay for it then you could ask to be advised of the high bid for salvage (ins co's have preferred bidders so you might have to bid a couple of hundred higher to secure). You won't be informed if you don't register an interest though. I'm gutted for you, I remember the feeling well & it was almost 8 years ago.

#13 ·
Just a thought, has anyone local to happypig got a set of standard wheels with legal tyres to sell cheap?
He'll still be able to swap 'em over a few days after the car has been towed away cos it'll be sat in a storage yard a while. Or maybe part-ex against his posh wheels & brand new tyres - if he wants to sell them.

#15 ·
Only the other day I was trying to find some crash test info on 9000s, being that they were pre-NCAP. And now I can stop searching. Quite impressive for a 40mph shunt, I feel quite assured.

Sorry to see your pride and joy like that, but as they say, thanks for sharing.

Best of luck with your next one.

#16 ·
Hi happypig, really sorry to hear about your accident, such a shame. It looked like a really nice car but I’m glad you are ok.
Has your car got the B234R engine in it? If so, would you be interested in selling your ECU as I am having a little problem with mine at the moment! Detailed in http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....pic/2/5445.html
Let me know if you’re interested. What car are you thinking of getting next? Staying Saab I hope!

Thanks.

#19 ·
To answer some points:

Saab-jager : yes, quite a crunch, but remember NCAP tests are done by running into something solid and immobile. I hit another car which moved (into the back of a BMW). Still walked away though

Saabben: Selling the ECU; the car was taken away this morning to the Direct Line approved repairer; AIUI it either comes back repaired, or gets written off and I never see it again. If it gets written off (as seems likely), you could try the garage who have got it - Caffyns at Hailsham. I've never wrecked a car before so I don't know the procedures.

Mark E/Scaero :It is (was ) a 225bhp jobbie.

As to new car I have considered: 9000 Aero, 900 Turbo,9-3 Turbo, Golf VR6, Nissan 300ZX, Mitsubishi 3000GT.

I'll probably go for another Saab (unless a very good VR6 presents itself) - the cost of servicing/parts on a twin turbo Jap flying machine could be scary (they do look nice tho...). Budget will be about £5k.

#22 ·
I suppose I could buy it back, but I'd have to get it back home, then keep it on the driveway whilst I took all the good bits off it.
To be honest, I can't be bothered with all the hassle for a few quid.
However, if anyone on here wants to do a deal (ie I buy it back, you bung me a few quid for it, collect it and dispose of it) then I am open to offers.

#24 ·
Sorry to hear about this happypig. However, if it were my car, I'd buy it back without a 2nd thought. See the picture in the avatar? I bought that back. Yours has even more salvageable parts to it. I reckon that you could make quite a bit of money, if you were inclined, selling bits of that. The wheels remove easily and in the 'states they would bring £400, easy. The engine is probably worth £1000, the transaxle, another £400, and I bet someone would pay dearly for those Anniversary seats. Also, if you plan on buying another 9000, there's a lot of ancillary items that would be handy to have around the garage as spares: fuel pump, alternator, starter, electrical items, etc. My engine suffered a lot of heat damage (the intake manifold literally melted) but I'm pretty certain the block is still fine and I'll pull it out of the vehicle when I return home.......good luck on whatever you decide!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.