Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a problem occur on my '97 Aero whereby the turbo won't boost above half, i can see this in the gauge on the dash, and it feels a lot slower.

Has anyone had this problem and/or know what it is and how to sort it out.

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah ive had that problem recently, check vaccum hoses at apc soleniod (on top of radiator) to make sure none split or come off, if ok take the vaccum hose marked W that goes from the apc soleniod to the wastegate, go for a drive but dont hammer it if you are now getting full boost suspect apc soleniod, try spraying carb cleaner into ports, reconnect all hose and retry, also whilst doing this disconnect battery to reset the ecu and then take on an adaptation run. i did this to mine after the same symptoms, and in now back to full boost.

hope this helps

tommy

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, i have looked at other posts on Saabnet about base boost etc, and have measured the resistance at the APC solenoid and it appears to have about 3ohms between the inner pin and each of the outer pins.

Should the upper and lower vacuum tubes be easy to blow or suck through (no laughing ;-) as the centre one appears to operate the actual arm the goes to the turbo and i can't seem to find any leaks.

All the other posts mention a defective APC solenoid, but what if it isn't that?

Stressed Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

After inspecting the turbo more closely it would appear the a circlip or similar had come off of the rod behind the turbo from the actuator to the wastegate(?)

This meant that the actuator couldn't do anything with the wastegate.

Something costing 5p has nearly given me a heart attack!
Thanks for all the help guys

Skiddins :)

P.S. Does anyone know exactly what is used to hold this joint together?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Had mine off today, the clip that holds the actuator rod in place is straight on one side and like a figure of 8 on the other. Thats about the best way I could think of to describe it. A small split pin or piece of wire would do the trick though.

HTH

Neil

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
the clip that holds the actuator rod in place is straight on one side and like a figure of 8 on the other.

It's called an 'R pin', commonly available from engineering suppliers. As you say, though, a piece of wire will do the trick

Julian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts