Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title suggests if your in the market for a new set of tyres it may well be worth checking these out, some supply only and others have the option of local or mobile fitting so there is something suitable for everyone. Its worth bearing in mind if buying supply only to get a price from your local tyre dealer for fitting as they can charge more because you are not actually buying the tyre from them and can often work out cheaper if choose the fitting option with one of the online dealers.

These are what I know to that are very competitive and have being used by various members..........please add if you know of any others and will add to this list so to keep at top of page

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyres_home.html ...........these are who I mostly use and price match often do discount codes to

http://www.camskill.co.uk/ .........used by myself and the zohan

http://www.blackcircles.com/ ......used by the zohan with Tesco club card points to "every little helps"

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ .................here you can read reviews of any tyre and also buy

http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/ .........used by sianderson "that's Asda price"

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

·
Registered
239 Posts
i have used black circles before and they are pretty cheap and it was easy to get them fitted at one of their places, although recently i just had 2 toyo t1r's put on at a local tyre place and they were actually cheaper than one of the websites

·
Registered
284 Posts
Never failed to get a local independent to do tyres for a better price than the online suppliers. Support local small businesses is my view.

Use the online sites as a guide price to speak to your local supplier about.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Never failed to get a local independent to do tyres for a better price than the online suppliers. Support local small businesses is my view.

Use the online sites as a guide price to speak to your local supplier about.
clearly check out all your options to make an informed choice about what choices you have

the local fitters clearly arent doing the fitting for free so they win regardless of whether its online or direct, it just appears to be free from the buyers point of view online

halfords cant match the price of the budget tyres (so i am getting a better deal by going online than going direct to them) but still using them to fit it

i may be funny about things like this but i would rather deal with a company that is clearly established with official training schemes working on my car than taking a chance that you might find a college drop out kid who helps out a guy called dave who rents a unit round the back of a road who fixes cars by trial and error approach and cuts corners because they cant afford to do the job properly and who may not be there in a few months time, i know tyres arent exactly a brain taxing job to get your mind around but i fail to see why i would take the chance on a local small business when they are on my doorstep? and yes i shop in asda and not "Mr Blogs Supermarket" lol

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when pricing anywhere you need to get an all in price for comparison as stated in the initial post most online dealers give you the option of fitted and clearly state the price and if you select fitting cost of postage does not apply

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i agree i was only talking about the fitted option, the halfords near me are listed as my local approved fitters so its all arranged through the website i have not contacted halfords directly to arrange this, if choosing the fitted option you pay at the fitter so i would imagine halfords would then only then pass on a percentage of the money from the buyer back to the website and keep the remaining for doing the job

i know halfords cant match the price as the last time i did this they made a comment about what a good deal i have actually got by doing it this way

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I get through tyre traders I pay them online and just turn up at my chosen garage from there list so looks like they all work different lol

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
oh right, i've used tyresavings.com who no longer seem to be around, and now asdatyres.co.uk who both say pay at the fitter

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
asda as in the supermarket ? if so jesus they are into everything these days supermarkets next they will be on shelves next to the meat isle lol:D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
yep lol the supermarket i was shocked when i came across them, but it does make sense i suppose if they are using their buying power, it all depends how it works i suppose i get the feeling its just a "management" role the websites play in supplying the tyres, they don't actually get involved with handling them

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I've used camskill & mytyres & fit them myself :) have managed to get a better price once from wholesalers & that was when I got some Michelin but normally have conti
But I'm not in the trade so the price I get from wholesalers will be more the what a Tyre fitter will pay

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep lol the supermarket i was shocked when i came across them, but it does make sense i suppose if they are using their buying power, it all depends how it works i suppose i get the feeling its just a "management" role the websites play in supplying the tyres, they don't actually get involved with handling them
that's Asda price

next it will be Tesco.....every little helps lol

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i suppose sainsburys will give you tyres that are bright orange just to be different?

and the co-op prefer you to have 4 tyres, each of a different make

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well si ive added Asda to the list..............did you know blackcircles do Tesco clubcard points as well lol

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i think i did see that, but then i would have to go to tescos and not asda to spend them and end up spending more petrol to get there (but atleast i would have nice new tyres to do so lmao)

i do have a clubcard but i give my vouchers to my parents as they are more likely to spend them than me maybe (£2.50 a quarter lol)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i think the general consensus is theres so many websites out there that do them as its only a management role, theres no one winner you just have to check as many as you can to get the price for the tyre you want

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I used camskill - they were very good and price and quick delivery. BUT... be warned if you are not in then the courier is authorised to leave them on your drive as I found out. I was not too impressed when my Michelins were left on show to all and sundry. They also use permanent address labels which are applied to the face of the tyre which is a barstool to remove.

Can I add my 2p as well? If you have any problems when tyres are mounted say they are out of round / manufacturing fault develops then it's a royal PITA to go back through a 3rd party back to the manufacturer for a replacement. Been there done that, just a shame really.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
halfords claim in the documentation i received today says "All work guaranteed for 12,000 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner" so to me regardless of where i arranged it from i.e asda tyres i would take it up with halfords and it becomes their problem as they did the work on the car i.e fitted the tyres?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts