Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

last tuesday, I was at Hirsch Performance in St. Gallen (Switzerland), where my Viggen was custom tuned by Tommy Utengen and Renato Boldrini.

Tommy is a Saab-employee and was responsible for all Saab in house Tuning Projects. He is in the tuning business for 13 years now, and he also made the Trionic 8 Aero Software. Renato is Hirsch´s own software genius. It was a joy to see them work hand in hand on my car.

First, they prepped the car for their dyno - I was still on winter tires and they said my tires would not stand one day of continous dyno work.

Well, I´m gonna find this out soon ...

Then, we went on the road for real-life testing. Of course, Tommy made adjustments on his laptop all the time. We were finished a little after five o´clock in the afternoon. While they reassembled and checked my car, I took a spin in their all new 252hp 9-3 SS. I left them at half past six in the evening, and the car was a delight to drive...

Now, I´m a proud owner of one of the very, very few *really* custom tuned T7 ECUs. Thanks to Tommy and Renato, and especially to René who made it possible to get Tommy here from Sweden!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] Incredible insight into how the pro's do it  [/qb][/b]
Thanks. That´s why I wrote the long text. It is amazing how much time and equipment it actually takes to get the software right just for one car configuration. And if you change one thing, for example the IC, you have to start all over again - not only to get optimum power, but also to prevent leaning out and risking an engine failure under high load ...

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
563 Posts
Welcome to the wonderfull world of custom Hirsch tuned Saabs

Originally posted by philip hs:
[qb]The goal was not to reach maximum peak power or torque, but to have a broad torque plateau and stable, healthy long-time performance.[/qb][/b]
Renato told me the same thing when he did my car. The Saab with the highest peak numbers and biggest kick in the back isn't always the fastest one. He tunes the cars so they keep pulling very strong throughout the entire rev range.

The Hirsch wheels look very nice on your black Viggen convertible .
Will this be your next upgrade?

Please take me for a ride, next time we meet.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Looks like a world of fun.

I wonder why Trionic always seemed to "learn down" ... mine learnt up. Probably just two different types of dynos.

Maybe we'll get to see some videos of that thing in action.
That'd be awesome!

So they think it could do over 300 hp on the stock turbocharger? I know the compressor is capable, but had always been under the impression that the exhaust side was too restrictive.

I think those wheels should be your next upgrade too. They fit a black car so well.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice work Philip!

Did you have the change to look at your intake temp after IC and EGT's? Also you would have a boost map or airmass map from you car?

300bhp should be doable with the mods you have. Nordic pulled out 306bhp from a 9-5 aero with less mods.
Did Hirsch offer you any gurantee for you new engine?

Ps. My Maptun stage III+ ECU version 1.1 arrived yesterday. It should be
for me also

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by Leon [9-5 stg2]:
[qb] Thanks for showing us philip, just shows how much work goes into getting some power increases, puts some claims of a lot of extra power by simple hardware change in thier place. [/qb][/b]
Agreed
. A lot of folk simply don't realize the level of work that is put in by the top tuners.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Well I am so impressed, when I go to Saab even the parts guy isnt normally there, so how you get two tuning gurus in the same place at the same time I have no idea!

Fantastic Stuff

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Wish I had that opportunity for my 9000... despite all the bits, I still don't reckon it's doing as much as it could... but I suppose I can rest easy in knowing that everything (bar the gearbox ) is comfortably rated for what it is putting out

Still, top work, Philip- a very sound approach to tuning IMO.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by Chris B:
[qb]Well I am so impressed, when I go to Saab even the parts guy isnt normally there, so how you get two tuning gurus in the same place at the same time I have no idea!    

Fantastic Stuff  
 [/qb][/b]
Both guys were there to tune my 9-3 also. Tommy makes somewhat regular trips down from Sweden to Hirsch.

My experience with Hirsch was pretty much the same as Philip's. They do excellent work and are only happy with perfection of their tuning.

And as Maarten said, we can welcome Philip to the small group of custom tuned Hirsch Saabs!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Very nice!

I know that you have been asked this quistion many times before, but how the h.... does a convertible handle that kind of horsepower????

Has the Viggen convertible chassi been reinforced compared to the standard convertible chassi??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Maarten (900 Hirsch):
[qb]The Hirsch wheels look very nice on your black Viggen convertible       .
Will this be your next upgrade?    
[/qb][/b]
Yes, I think so... but that will be next summer - they are 18" and cost an arm and a leg

Sorry for the late reply, but I´m neary 600 km from home this week ....

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]I wonder why Trionic always seemed to "learn down" ... mine learnt up [/qb][/b]
In theory, Trionic will adapt to your driving style. So if you perform the famous adaptation run, it should adapt up.

But the stock software was calibrated for the stock hardware. If you change the hardware without changing the software, calibration will be off, the engine´s sensors will read different values from wht the ECU expects and therefore it will adapt down in most of the cases.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]Did you have the change to look at your intake temp after IC and EGT's? Also you would have a boost map or airmass map from you car?
[/qb][/b]
Renato and Tommy monitored the intake temp on the dyno all the time, and every time it reached 75 °C, they took back throttle for a few seconds until it was at approximately 32 °C again. They told me on the road this car would never reach such high intake temperatures ... and they also told me that the stock Viggen Ic would be far beyond 90 °C under these conditions.

Sorry, no maps for me. I was not even allowed to take screenshots of the laptop Tommy was working on... top secret.

[qb]300bhp should be doable with the mods you have. Nordic pulled out 306bhp from a 9-5 aero with less mods.[/qb][/b]
Tommy was very explicit about what he thought of that. He thinks that most tuners just do the software on their PC, install it on the ECU, drive to the dyno, take the best peak run and don´t care about stable long time performance. He said it would be absolutely impossible that Nordic reaches more than 300 healthy hp, while he, with 13 years experience in Trionic developement, does not.
Don´t get me wrong: He thinks that my car will dyno +300 hp near sea level, too. But stable performance for the stock injectors and the Viggen style TD04HL-15T is somewhere around 280 hp - and I will have those now under nearly all heat, load and height conditions.

[qb]Did Hirsch offer you any gurantee for you new engine?
[/qb][/b]
My new engine was made by Heuschmid, and he told me that only software by Hirsch would not affect my warranty. He only uses Hirsch software.

@all: Thanks for your input!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]I know that you have been asked this quistion many times before, but how the h.... does a convertible handle that kind of horsepower????[/qb][/b]
The roads I normally use are in pretty good condition, and I´m used to high powered FWD vehicles for nearly ten years now. I think the car handles pretty well.

Originally posted by Søren Hviid:
[qb]Has the Viggen convertible chassi been reinforced compared to the standard convertible chassi?? [/qb][/b]
The chassis is exactly the same, but it has different springs, dampers and softer front anti roll bars.

Yours,

Philip

1 - 19 of 19 Posts