Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9K CSE LPT '94 - the hard starting when at normal temp is now becoming a nuisance , BillJ suggested checking the sensor on the cyl head under the manifold....yes, wire socket connected ok, pulled out and cleaned it but problem still there....also fuel consumption is a bit high!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I assume you're not getting any "check engine" warning lights? If your fuel consumption is a bit high and starting when warm is a problem then maybe the fuel/air mixture is too rich? I'm not sure exactly what might cause it to be that way, maybe someone else can help?
Good luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No "check engine" light but funny thing this evening, came out of Sainsbury and car refused to start , did start after about 5 mins and the "SRS" light came on and stayed on until got home after 10 min journey!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I would maybe check all your earth points, the SRS light staying on suggests a flat battery, could be caused by bad earths. Could also cause a sensor to read faulty I guess, causing your fuelling problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still sounds like BillJ's diagnosis of coolant temp sensor to me. Having checked it is connected and clean have a look here for specifications of the electrical resistance at various temps. The following are further checks from MY93 Trionic checks for the coolant temp sensor:

Engine coolant temperature

Check that pins 66, 67 and 68 in the control module connector are not corroded or pushed out.

Also check for pushed out pins and sockets at the sensor connector.

Measure the resistance of the sensor in relation to temperature as described in the Service Manual.

Is the sensor of the correct type? Cars equipped with TCS have a different sensor.

Check the connection between the wiring and the sensor for poor contact and corrosion.

Also check crimped connection J68.[/b]
If your sensor has failed then it may continue to show a high resistance at normal coolant temp thus fooling the ecm into thinking the engine is still cold and wrongly richening the mixture as it would for cold starts. It's then like trying to start a warm engine with the "choke" full on. Suggest you get that sensor checked as above or swap out for a known good one before looking elsewhere.

The continuous cranking may be having an effect on your other systems which depend on battery voltage not drooping below a certain value - such as ACC and SRS - this may explain your SRS light, if it’s not a coincidental bad earth as already suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.