Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 saab = big heartache.
in addition to my battery problem I can now add blue smoke.
First noticed it this morning - blue smoke on startup. Let engine warm then gave some throttle = more blue smoke. No smoke at idle.
when i was driving the car a few months ago I had no smoke at all. Not even on startup. When I first turned it over a few weeks ago after sitting in garage for a few months I noticed a bit of white smoke. Nothing major and went once warmed up. Connected?
Head gasket?turbo?
I hate saabs.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason, thanks for that.
as I thought head gasket or turbo. The turbo makes a fluttering hoot/whine as you give it throttle even when in neutral. This is I believe possible dump valve.
Which I knew anyway......add it to the ever expanding list.
Would people have a look at this and comment? dump valve ebay

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The turbo makes a fluttering hoot/whine as you give it throttle even when in neutral.  [/b]
This is the classic sigh of the thrust bearing gone and the compressor turbine blades rubbing against the housing. Take the intake off and check for end float. If the play is too excessive the smoke will be coming from the turbo seals. Mine has just done that with the symptom you mentioned, 6mm play and both turbine blade sets wrecked. Will show you next weekend if you want...
Don't despair to much..help is only along the road!!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds likely. Will check as soon as I can the movement. Is it just a case of taking the intake rubber pipe off the turbo and moving the blades??
What does this mean?New turbo?Which one do I have?What can i fit?How much and where from?!
Thanks again Mark!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Take the intake off and get hold of the nut in the middle and push and pull this indicates end float. There is always a small amount of up and down movement this is okay as the turbine will self centre once running.
We have a T25 Garrett fitted, which is fitted to most pre 93 9000's (FPT's). I just fitted the one off my grey scrapper to my Carlsson.
I have a couple of contacts for inexpensive recon units but check out the breakers first or try ebay...loads of people breaking 9000's, drop them an email.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Turbo Force
Address: Unit 21 The Old Mill Industrial Estate
School Lane, Bamber Bridge
Preston,
Lancashire
PR5 6SY

Phone: 01772 697979
Fax: 01772 697989
There is another local one thats into Hybrids but I cannot find that one at the moment as soon as I do I will post it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts