Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have'nt got the official figures yet so I am relying on my elderly memory
real trouble getting it launched..the 1/4 mile times were not much better than last time
mid 14's but the terminal velocity was well up at 115

the gearing was all wrong and the torq limits on 1 an 2 gear slowed me down a fair bit

gave some cars a fright tho...

most impresive car there was a scooby running 10.3 and 147
mph...

and the best thing ?

the gearbox survived

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You haven't been scoobie hunting at Crail by any chance , glad the gearbox survived, i take it, it stayed dry, it's been pouring here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]most impresive car there was a scooby running 10.3 and 147
mph...    :eek:  
[/qb][/b]
I think that Impreza went on to do several passes in the 9.8 second bracket.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wow, a trap speed of 118 mph shows all the power you have. My best run in my 9-3 was a 14.2 @ 102.25 mph. If you could get the launch a bit better, you should see low 13s or even high 12s with that kind of trap speed.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd guess at something iro 550bhp with those times?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
bang on jase
547 at dastek (with NOS )
he was trying out some experimental nos nozzles at crail..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you should see low 13s or even high 12s with that kind of trap speed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]
thats what I thought as well

Thinking about it the car was absouloutly pathetic getting off the line
All sorts of things were happening
In first it would scrabble for grip the tcs would cut in and it would be time for 2 nd
same thing again and into third
the power built so quickly it would spin the wheels before the tcs could catch it ...

wahey... here is the power and off down the track like a scalded cat

the car in the other track which had disapeared into the middle distance is caught in short order
with a very surprised look on their faces !!

It is just not geared /configured for 1/4 mile times
If I removed the torque limit on 2 nd gear and put sticky slicks , changed the final drive and really gave it some welly off the line
12's are possible
but broken gearboxes are possible too...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think you'd have to convert the car to none-TCS before fitting a Race Logic set up - I can't see the two systems getting-on with each other.

The Launch Control that comes with it would be a bit like cheating though, surely?

You don't describe YOUR launch technique - have you given it any thought, or is it just a battle to stop the wheels spinning?

My understanding of best approach to launching a FWD drag run was to rev to a high-torque point, consider a launch in 2nd gear, not 1st and then slip the clutch for a LONG time (perhaps not even getting the clutch all the way up at all whilst in 1st), so that the power stays where it should (within the rev-band, that is), and the clutch does the slipping, not the tyres.

If you start in second and rev-out in third, that means a single gear-change and you can still get to a terminal speed of nearly 110+

Carl

·
Registered
461 Posts
Forgot to mention:

the Race Logic feature you might like is that you can set temporary 'clutch-down' rev limits, so that you can keep your foot down (like a 'racing' change) between gears to keep the boost levels up, without needing to be at the red-line and without over-revving (because the engine will be limited to say, 4000rpm not 7000rpm, while the clutch pedal is depressed.

Carl

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The launch technique was [expletive deleted]...
2 nd and slip the clutch might be good (for times not clutch)
the fastest times were done in third

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Is there a way for you to disable the traction control? You would probably be better off controlling tire spin on your own. I find that even with just 230 hp to the wheels, I tend to use about 1/2 throttle in first on the launch. I do not have traction control so I just manage wheel spin with my right foot. In my car, I am able to give it everything in 2nd with just a hint of wheel spin, provided I have the wheels straight. If you cannot disable the traction control, I suggest you drive it as to try and not see the traction light come on, therefore you wil be using all of the available traction you have. You will be faster that way than trying to let the traction control do its thing.

Speaking of traction, I will assume you already know this but I will throw it at you anyways. With radial tires, your best traction will be with slightly higher tire pressures. Most people are still stuck with the idea that lower pressures are better. Lower pressures work good with bias plytires and drag tires work better with low pressure as well. The best way to check this is to get some good wheel spin and check the marks you leave on the road. You want to see all of the tire tread hitting the road. Then you adjust the pressure up if you see just the outer edges in the tire track on the road. This can make a big difference in the launch and how easy it is to control.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Well, you can always keep trying! My 14.20 @ 102 was done with my stock turbo so it is still very easy to control. If you have boost that builds suddenly, and reiculously fast, which I assume you do, it will be quite tough to keep it under control.

I am curious, do you have the 60 ft times, 660 ft time and speed and such? I am just curious on the numbers.

My run:
60 ft. 2.3129
1/8 ET 9.3309
1/8 MPH 81.70
1/4 ET 14.2002
1/4 MPH 102.25

·
Registered
288 Posts
One swedish stage IV viggen pulled this about a month ago

reak 0.568
60foot 2.217
201m 8.839s 136.29kmh

402m 13.478s 170,72kmh

tires, Hoosier dragradialer 225-50-16
Tuning, Maptun steg 4 315hk 450nm

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]yeah tried it with it off
worst time ...    

I think skill is required.... [/qb][/b]
I always found that I could get quicker launches by having slightly smaller rear tyres.

this fooled the tcs into thinking the fronts were not spinning when they were just by 2-3% (i.e. they were wimpering continuously) if they did break free completly, tcs would still reel it in, but it occured later than with 4 same sized tyres.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Andrew, that sounds like a very clever idea.

What about (for drag runs only!) going for really hard rear springs to minimise lift at the front?

·
Registered
461 Posts
really hard rear springs to minimise lift at the front?  [/b]
can you still get those big rubber 'caravan-assist' bung-things to stiffen/raise the rear springs of a car?

how about a couple of sets of those in each rear spring?

you could fit them at the track and remove them for the drive home.

Carl

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Fliptop:
[qb]What about (for drag runs only!) going for really hard rear springs to minimise lift at the front? [/qb][/b]
With the Abbott springs and Konis set almost fully hard, and with an LSD, I could launch my Aero (no TCS) pretty well. Standard tyre size and pressure, but fairly grippy tyres (Bridgestone S03s).

I have no 1/4 mile times but have managed to launch it well enough to achieve 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and 0-100mph in 12 seconds. Not bad for a big FWD barge

1 - 20 of 34 Posts