Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic says it all: Today, I removed that very nice sounding JT 3" Cat back System from my car and replaced it with a quite a lot quieter Hirsch stainless steel cat back system, mainly for reason (in order of importance) of looks, stainlessness and road legality in Germany. On closer inspection, the two pots of the JT system proved to be for show only: The exhaust pipes go straight trough them - which is the reason for the very aggressive sound, which I liked a lot, but the TÜV engineer did not quite like that much ;-)

To sum it up: The Hirsch system looks gorgeous, and sounds ok, certainly better than the stock Viggen exhaust. I don´t feel any loss of performance, but I guess I will have to dyno it to have hard evidence

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Ok I did it! Replaced JT 3" cat back with Hirsch 2.75" stainless cat back

Originally posted by philip hs:
[qb] The exhaust pipes go straight trough them - which is the reason for the very aggressive sound, which I liked a lot, but the TÜV engineer did not quite like that much ;-)
[/qb][/b]
Good move, your JT system would have rotted on you in couple of years time anyway
Philip the strait holes through silencers are there becuse they are "free flow" type. This is case in every free flow type exhaust. The pipe in the silencer has lots of holes in it and the pipe is surrounded with foam. This mulles the sound just like gun silencer.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Hi Philip

I also installed the Hirsch sport exhaust on my 9-5 and Dynoed it again. +6 ps was the benefit compared to stock catback system and this week i'll install a bigger delivery pipe.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Originally posted by Vigge:
[qb]the strait holes through silencers are there becuse they are "free flow" type. This is case in every free flow type exhaust. The pipe in the silencer has lots of holes in it and the pipe is surrounded with foam. This mulles the sound just like gun silencer. [/qb][/b]
Great info. I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Originally posted by 9-5 aero:
[qb]I also installed the Hirsch sport exhaust on my 9-5  and Dynoed it again. +6 ps was the benefit compared to stock catback system[/qb][/b]
I think a few of those hp might be because it is now a little colder than on your last dyno run How far are you now from the promised power? If I remember right, you also have the 3" downpipe and a race cat? If yes, how did you attach the 2.75" hirsch system to the 3" race cat?

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
132 Posts

It wasn't much colder on the second dyno run (13°C, 1st run 16°C). Engine power was 9 Ps more and that is because of the lower temp on 2nd dyno but corrected is +6ps. I have sport cat and not racecat on the car and it was quite difficult to marry it with the Hirsch system but finally there was a huppy end . The problem is, that i didn't dyno the car as stock in order to know the real benefit of stg 3. I hope, that with the delivery pipe the will be an increase of the performance

·
Registered
202 Posts

9-5 aero:

Yes, how did you connect the 3" downpipe to the 2.75" Hirsch cat-back system? I will most likely be faced with the same problem early next year, and don't want to re-invent the wheel. Would be good if you could post your solution here, if possible with some pics.

I had posed the same question to Fredrik of Maptun a while back. He said that the 3" downpipe comes with an adapter for the regular cat-back (2.25") but that for the Hirsch system I would have to make my own adapter. Didn't say how, though.

·
Registered
132 Posts

When you try to connect the stock cat system with the Hirsch exhaust there is no problem at all. It begins as soon as you have the 3" sport cat as i did. The probem also is not the adaptor. Hirsch is 2.75" and it adapts to 2,5" in order to connect it with the stock cat, which is also 2.5". From maptun i got an adaptor, which adapts the 3" to 2.5". At the end was my hardware configuration with the Hirsch one 30cm too long! I had to cut the sport cat after the 2nd lamda sensor and modify the brackets of Hirsch system. I will post some photos as soon as i can because it's not so easy to describe it.

·
Registered
374 Posts

so what was wrong with your JT system? im not shure i understood why you pulled it out...i ask because i am looking to upgrade from my 2.5" sports exhaust to the 3" dual muffler JT..i also have the 3'DP.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi Iwantaviggen,

reasons for pulling the JT:

[qb]looks, stainlessness and road legality in Germany[/qb][/b]
Detail:

1. The JT, sounding great, looks very cheap compared to the Hirsch System. I think if you have seen them both, you will agree.

2. The Hirsch is made of stainless steel. While my father has his third exhaust on his 1997 9000 CSE, I don´t think I will ever have to buy an exhaust again (at least not for this car).

3. The Hirsch System is road legal in Germany without any additional cost. We have to pass a technical inspection every two years, and my JT wouldn´t have passed that, being to loud. I considered to retrofit my stock exhaust just for the day of the inspection, but then I fell in love with the Hirsch system.

I will post pictures as soon as I find time to wash the car

Yours,

Philip

P.S. The TÜV engineer inspecting the car yesterday was full of admiration for the quality of both the ECU tuning (emissions being ten times better than required) and the exhaust.

·
Registered
374 Posts

[qb]I will post pictures as soon as I find time to wash the car    

Yours,

Philip

P.S. The TÜV engineer inspecting the car yesterday was full of admiration for the quality of both the ECU tuning (emissions being ten times better than required) and the exhaust. [/qb][/b]
pictures would be awesome!! and its always nice to get someone commenting on your car!!....

·
Registered
57 Posts

This is what the Hirsch exhasut looks like on my car:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My system looks like this, but I installed it a bit further out so you can see the cool Hirsch Perfomance Insignia when you look at the exhaust tip.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
202 Posts

Just remember to keep it nicely polished!

·
Registered
374 Posts

wow now thats a shinny exhaust!! looks good!!

but have you noticed any differance between the 2.5 and 3"?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts

Originally posted by iwantaviggen:
[qb]wow now thats a shinny exhaust!! looks good!!

but have you noticed any differance between the 2.5 and 3"? [/qb][/b]
Hirsch is a 2.75" system.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I have not noticed a difference so far. I reached 160 mph easily on my trip to Hannover on Tuesday, and the car behaves exactly like when the JT was still fitted. But I will have it dyno-tested again if I find the time.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK, here are some pictures. But I didn´t polish it yet

·
Registered
11 Posts

Philip,

The next time you are at Hirsch, can you ask them if they ship their product to or have a distributor in the United States. I've tried emailing them a few time without any response. I am very interested in their 9-3 exhaust.

Thanks!!
Jason

·
Registered
374 Posts

Originally posted by /john:
[qb]  QUOTE
Originally posted by iwantaviggen:
[qb] wow now thats a shinny exhaust!! looks good!!

but have you noticed any differance between the 2.5 and 3"? [/qb][/b]
Hirsch is a 2.75" system. [/qb][/b][/quote]excuuuuuse me! ...2.75"

that tip looks very good! and agressive too

perkj where about in san jose are you? pm me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts