Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking about it for 12 months I finally did it and upgraded my ECU. I chose Maptun.

First impressions are quite interesting as the driving characteristics of the car in "normal" driving appear unchanged - just what I wanted.

When I need the power though the extra
is noticable and the boost gauge goes much further into the red zone.

I didn't want loads of uncontrolable wheelspin, nor did I want brute force when I want gentle acceleration but I do want loads of power when I need it.

I thought the upgrade might have shown up any weaknesses in my DI cassette, or my clutch but all is OK. When I installed an upgrade in my 3 year old 9-5 my DI cassette went into instant misfire so I was worried I might get the same again.

So nice one Maptun. I'm happy. Looking forward to my first cross country jaunt.

Oh - and I told my insurance company. It cost me £60 extra.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tesco Insurance.

They wanted to know what the percentage increase in power was - it's 18%, (225bhp to 265bhp) which fell into their category of increases between "10% and 20%".

They had another band of 20% to 30%, so it's handy to fall into the lower category.

When I did a Hirsch upgrade on my 9-5 2.3t a couple of years ago the percentage increase was similar, but with a power increase of 185bhp to 220bhp. Tesco also insured this car.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
You knew it made sense!
Next on the shopping list should be a 3" downpipe and sports air filter. That will make a surprising difference.

Oh, & maybe some suspension upgrades. You won't regret purchasing a strut brace either!

Jez

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes - I use an independant Saab company here in Bristol called Jamsaab. They got it direct from Maptun and installed it for me.

I could have got it direct from Maptun, but I liked the idea of someone else installing it for me as I am useless with any sort of tool, and it didn't cost me any more to use Jamsaab.

www.maptun.co.uk has contact details for telephone numbers etc. Helpful guy at the end of the phone. I'd give them a ring if I were you and discuss your choices.

Maptun Performance UK
5 South Road
BRIGHTON
BN1 6SB

t: 0870 757 1641
f: 0870 757 1642
e: [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts