Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I use Mobil1 15W-50 in my Aero (see Zeke's Aero for spec's @ BillJ's site). I conservatively estimate my hp above 300 and feel that the extra heat and stress warrants the use of the heavier weight. I had been using Royal Purple, 10W-30, but switched when I read that Dr. Boost uses the 50 weight Mobil juice in his 9000, which probably has milder tuned software than what Fredrik (MapTun) programmed into mine.

·
Registered
496 Posts
now what about us higher millaged saab guys...what do ya suggest we use? my 9KT has 268K and i intend to use Quaker State 10W-40 for it in a matter of days, already have the oil, so no turning back As for the tranny (manual) this i'm sure has been asked quite a bit, what should i use? 75W-90? I think i have that for the VW, if i do i'm using that. Next Q is, does the 87 9KT have a drain plugg for the tranny? If not...how do i change the fluid, not top off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
what should i use? 75W-90? I think i have that for the VW, if i do i'm using that. Next Q is, does the 87 9KT have a drain plugg for the tranny? If not...how do i change the fluid, not top off.

If versions are the same over the water DO NOT use 75W-90 use normal 10-40 NOT Semi-synthetic or Synthetic oil which will do nasty things to oil seals!
On my 87 9K 2.0t there was no drain plug so gear boxes need reconditioning or replacing every 100K or so, however if you remove a drive shaft look at all the oil that falls on the floor!
So a partial change can be done that way or visit a scrap yard and look for an inline electric fuel pump. fit a length of clear flex pipe to each end, wires to clips of some sort (get polarity right!
) and suck out all the old oil.
If using a cheap (older style 10-40) then if oil is very dark and glittery with bits of expensive metal fragments change it 2 or 3 times with a few 100 miles in between to get as much as possible of the dross out.
Above system is good also for removing engine oil if drain plug k**ckered and for getting petrol out of car petrol tanks!
Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've use a mechanics oil pump to remove gearbox oil, it's a cheat but it will remove all but a quarter of a litre (nothing like mixing imperial with metric!) of the old oil. Better to change most of it rather than none I'd say.
Nick.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As I haven't had to put any oil in my car since it was serviced, can anyone tell me what oil should go in the engine.

It is a '97 9000 Aero.

I know a lot of people use Mobile 1 and I will phone the dealer tomorrow to check, but what is their homebrand Saab turbo oil (ratings etc) and who makes it for them?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use Miller XFS which is a fully synthetic 5W50 oil. It is reasonably priced and the engine sounds sweet no matter how hot I get it - I also change the oil every 6000 miles.

The last time Trent serviced my car they used Silkolene fully synthetic which cost over £40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.