Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am giving my Aero its first service at the end of the month, I have to decide what oil to run it on.

Up until now it has been running on Semi-synthetic oil, but I am considering using Mobil 1 0-40W

Reading FAQs on oil etc. it looks like it should be suitable.

Does anyone have any other reccomendations, or know where the cheapest place to buy it is?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Also very good Shell Helix Ultra..

I've ran it in many of my previous high-performance cars..

1987 Porsche 911
1997 Subaru Impreza Turbo

And I've always found it worked great.. was recommended by both Porsche and Subaru importers here in NL...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I will probably get Mobil 1 as that is the oil I have heard of.

I believe I need 4.7 litres which is inconvenient if they sell it in 4 litre containers

Time to start shopping.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am not a member of Costco and have no idea where they are, so it looks like I will be buying a 4 litre and a 1 litre from wherever sells it locally.

Hopefully it will live up to its claims and be good for my engine

·
Registered
244 Posts
tees autotech sell mobil 1 by the case (4*4 litres) at ridiculously cheap price and very reasonable overnight delivery. nice guys, bosch and bmw experts, but good with everything.

bill

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Um, I've always used semi-synthetic and new filter every 6000miles with no problems (221k miles in an overboosting Carlsson). Mobile 1 has its place, extended service intervals say every 12000 miles. But IMHO frequent changes with semi-synthetic is better (cleaner oil hence less wear).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with Adrian that frequency of oil change is much more important than type of oil used. I use fully synthetic on my turbo cars but stuff that costs almost half the price of Mobil 1. I would be hesitant at running semi-synthetic in a turbo though - presumably the mineral element can still break down under the extreme temperatures in the turbo and gum it up?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still intend to change oil twice/year or every 6000, whichever comes first.

I just want the best protection for my engine.

Looking at Mobil 1 in Halfords.... 4l = £33.99, one litre = £10.99

Therefore that costs £45 for one engine fill.

Other decent semi-synthetics were more like £12 for 5 litres.

Dont think I wil be buying from Halfords

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Lots of info out there on oils, lots thats scientific and lots thats sales rubbish. I've not seen the non-sales evidence for the benefit of fully synthetic so not really able to say 'you are wasting money on brand X' However, when Saab turbo first came out a mineral oil was spec'd with 6000miles change intervals (no water cooled turbo either). Hence IMHO semi-synthetic every 6000 is better than original and just as good if not better than fully synthetic every 12,000

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have read so much recently on Saab and one site in particular, I think Quasimotors or Peter Townsend is it, recommends keeping the oil level up the X on max on the dipstick to extend chain life. What do you think?

·
Registered
657 Posts
FWIW, my advice is to go for Mobil1 but to search for the 'non zero' grade. Halford superstores sell a 15/50 version and this is what I use.
If you change oil every 6000 miles then the fuel you used in this distance would cost over £600 (or twenty times as much) as the oil!

·
Registered
661 Posts
This topics been through the wars on other boards!!
It seems that some people dont recommend using a 0W rated oil as it is TOO thin and doesnt provide the turbo shaft a thick enough cushion of oil on startup.
This doesnt seem to affect just Saabs as ive heard on Ford BB's that Cosworths have suffered similar failures due to the wall thickness of the Mobil 0W40 being too thin for these cars too (unless you live in a very cold climate!).
The best advice i can give is to use either a 5 or 10W rated oil, Halfords do a 5W40 fully synthetic which is as thin as your ever going to need in the climate that we have in the UK!!
If you look at the oil that Saab sells and recommends for turbo models you will see that it is 5W30
Pete.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mobil 1 is reccomended for high performance/turbocharged cars, but then there are theories that it doesnt provide enough protection for the Turbo on startup.

If the 15W50 Mobil 1 racing isnt suitable either, then does that make Mobil 1 the wrong choice for a Saab Aero?

I have to decide and get the oil before my service on the 30th.

Such a stressful life

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.