Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a hard drive back from Wales early this week, noticed that there is trace of fresh engine oil under the flywheel housing between the autobox and engine joint. There is no visible oil leak in the upper parts of the engine. Also, there are signs of this oil being "pushed" back along the sump and underside of the footwell owing to the high speed drive, however, there are no oil drips on the drive when car is stationery. Is there a seal between the engine and autobox which is suspect? Or copuld it be from somewhere else?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
There is a seal. It's the crankshaft rear seal ("rear" of the engine being the side the transmission is on). This would give the symptoms you describe. I can't think of anything else - perhaps others can.

I'd keep an eye on it for the moment. Replacing the seal means taking the transmission out.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Good point. Are you sure it's engine oil, mutungi? If so, then the crankshaft seal is still the only cause I can think of. If it's transmission fluid, then it must be a problem with the transmission. I'm not familiar with it, but I assume there must be a seal around the input to the torque converter.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately engine oil...tranny oil is clear red and would have been evident as such, looks like it IS the crankshaft rear seal, any tips on removing the auto tranny without too much hassle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts