Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 200 miles off my next oil and filter change and with the cold months looming, I would like some recommendations for oils and viscosity.

I am running a 96N 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT with a Speedparts Stage 2 ECU. I change my oil and filter at 4000 mile intervals (car does not have a service history after 90000 miles, better to be safe rather than sorry). I am currently using Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W-40 grade and I have found this oil to be of good quality.

For those of you with "that little extra" under the bonnet, what oils do you use during the summer/winter months?

ps.I have been made aware of Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic of 0W-50 for £18 for 5 litres (special offer or something). I am unsure of it's compatibility with regards to the "50"

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
mobil 1 0w40 is fine...
if you can find 0w50 even better.. I have not seen this grade for many a long year...
are you sure it has not reached its sell by date ?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there has never been a 0W-50 oil on the market, from Mobil or anyone else. The original Mobil SHC which became Mobil 1 was 5W-50.

Scotty,

all your questions should be answered by the two posts that I wrote in this thread.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]all your questions should be answered by the two posts that I wrote in  this thread. [/qb][/b]
So if I read this last thread correctly, the Mobil 1 5W-40 I bought last time I was in France (about £26 for 6 litres) is probably a good bet for my 9-5 kept in a garage in the south of England where ultra-low cold viscosity is not needed?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
5W after a couple of thousand miles will probably be the same as 0W is when new. All oil thins as the polymer chains get chewed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts