Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a few common causes for oil leaks on an 87 9000 turbo. I'm tired of cleaning my garage floor and want to address every possible issue while I'm under the car. Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Best thing to do is clean the engine, then watch where the oil re-appears. You've got a chance then, as you're not looking for oil on an oily engine.

Number one is the copper washer on the oil drain plug. If you don't fit a new one every time you change the oil (you might get away with using it twice in a row), you'll get drips of oil on the floor.

On the '87, the cam cover is a common source of leaks. Most dealers worth their salt use a sealing compound as well as the gasket if they remove and replace the cam cover on a 9000 of that vintage.

The oil level switch has an O-ring that leaks. This is also located on the sump (oil pan).

I've heard that oil can leak from the base of the oil filler tube. Again, an O-ring needs replacing.

It is not uncommon for oil to leak at the end of the head gasket. Very little you can do about it other than replace the head gasket.

Oil can leak past where the distributor enters the cylinder head. However, this more often happens on later cars with no distributor, the oil leaking from the blanking plug fitted in the same hole.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I am planning to replace the valve cover gasket (US term ) and I saw a post you had on saabcentral regarding the oil level switch. The drain plug washer is something I had thought about too. I just wanted to tap the infinite knowlege of the Saab inthusiasts. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just replaced the oilcooler on my '86 9000 Turbo that developed a leak. Its located on the passenger side of the rad. If it is leaking, and you decide to replace it, be prepared to fight with the old oil line fittings. Also be careful not to strip the aluminum threads of the new cooler. No need to drain the oil first unless you just topped it up full.

ttfn

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The oil drain from the turbo is also a comon source of oil leaks on the B202 engines. I've had two cars which leaked from the joint where the pipe joins the block. The seal is made by an o-ring which is compressed. I found that fitting 2 o-rings stopped the leak. On one car I had a leak from the bottom of the oil-filler tube, again a new o-ring fixed that.
Valve cover gaskets also invariably leak after a few years and the rubber material has hardened.
With regard to the oil drain plug, I always fit a Dowty bonded seal washer the first time I change the oil then I never need to change it again.
FYI you can re-use the copper washer if you anneal befor re-installing it. To aneal copper simple heat it until it is cherry red and plunge it in cold water.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I am in the process of cleaning my engine down prior to reassembly,the worst oil leak was definatly the turbo-drain,it looks to have been leaking for years judging by the caked on muck.Next one the oil-leval switch but no O ring on mine,just three bolts through the plastic body,not even a gasket!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have got a 92' 9000CDXS and it is always dripping.Been told that the sump has been repaired in the past so i think it might be that on mine.The oil pressure light never comes on while i am driving so should be okay for now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I recently stopped a leak replacing the oil pressure sender in my '87 turbo. The diaphragm (sp?) wan plitted, it didn't even hold pressure, even if the oil light still worked properly.
Still leaking a bit, but less, from the same area. Gotta have a look to that turbo hose...
HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts