Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foolishly decided to inspect the engine bay of my 1996 Aero....

1) Discovered I have the strange inlet manifold heatplate fitted (happy at this one) - which will be removed in due course.

2) There is an oil leak at the right hand side of the block around the edge of the head gasket (looking from the front of the car). This is either oil dripping from somewhere and burning off (there is some charring) as it is so close to the exhaust manifold - or the oil is coming via the head gasket.

So - has anyone had anything similar? Are there potentially leaky oil galleries going through the gasket near the front right of the engine?

I will investigate the possibility of other leak sources tonight - hopefully its dripping from somewhere else, but to be honest, i couldnt see any.

PS - The oil and coolant are in spotless condition - no contamination at all.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup, my money is on the blanking plug- the leak from my last one (normally a dribble) actually managed to spray oil all over the gearbox cover at a track day- I thought it was somehting far more sinister until I managed to get it home and check it out fully.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by zeppelin:
[qb]if it is leaking from r/h side it is prob.coming from rocker cover and running down,every saab ive had leaked here.clean it and forget it. [/qb][/b]
Hmm, mine too. I was considering having a bash at sealing it up when I do my next (and my first DIY) oil change, which will be due in about 2K miles. It's not losing a noticeable amount, i.e. the dipstick level is 1mm off max the only downside is that I sometimes get a whiff of hot oil when pulling up at junctions, but that may be unrelated.

·
Registered
865 Posts
jason,the only way to fix it is to remove r/cover and replace rubber gasket/oil seal.it is not expensive and only takes about half an hour but for the amount of oil i am losing it is not worth the hassle/beware of using instant gasket,i nearly goosed an engine using the stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts