Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
And an extra litre to fill it to the top dipstick mark (i.e. best part of 5 litres). As Mobile 1 comes in 4 litre and one litre bottles you'll need one of each.

If you want to save 50% of the cost of Mobile 1, then go for an alternative 10W/40 fully synthetic oil of same specification, like Valvolene, or similar.

9000 LPT Handbook specification for oil is as follows:
API SG/SH - fully synthetic or synthetic based:
10W/30 or 10W/40
15W/50 or 20W/50 at external tempretures of +15C.

4.7 litre capacity (2ltr & 2.3Ltr).

·
Registered
600 Posts
The SAAB main dealer mechanics swear my Mobil 1 especially if you intend to go 9000 miles between service.

I must admit i tend to change the oil + filter every 4000 miles. I use a named brand fully synthetic oil - what ever is on offer at the spares shop and an origional SAAB filter.

I think it is worth purchasing the Haynes manual, even though they are not as good as they used to be, since they at least give every day info you require.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE OIL DRAIN SUMP NUT ELSE IT WILL BE A ******* TO UNDO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another way to save big bucks on Mobil 1 is to buy it from France. Carrefours in Cite Europe is where I normally go.

4l of 5W50 will cost about £18. I use this in my other car. Last time I was there I bought the 9000 10 litres of Mobil S 10W40 for £20. I think it took just less than 5l for the oil change.

Cheers,

Liam.

·
Registered
141 Posts
With regards buying Mobil 1 in France, I've been lead to believe that the French Mobil 1 is not exactly the same as the British Mobil 1 which accounts for (most of) the price differential.

(The same is true about Persil washing powder).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guy, you are right that the French grade of Mobil 1 is differnt to UK spec.

IT IS BETTER!

5W50 is superior to 0W40 in that it has a wider operating temperature range. I think that a cold viscosity of 5 is perfectly suitable for the UK climate and 50 is the same grade as "Motorsport" Mobil 1 (15W50) that is available in the UK.

Cheers,

Liam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts