Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got my local guarage to do a oil change whilst i waited on Sun Morn.. I supplied the Mobile 1 and Saab filter.

My question is I gave him 5 liters of Mobil 1. When I checked the oil level this morning the oil was on the A of MAX, therefore too much (the dipstick looks like this MIN| |MAX) Now he didnt give me back any oil. What is the oil capacity of a 2.3 FPT and do I need to drain some off tonight or will I be OK with that level?

Thanks Ant

p.s. the car does not burn any oil at all..

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I thought 5.5 for me too, but this is from BillJ's site I have just found:
B202: 4.0 litres
B204: 4.7 litres
B234: (to 1993) 4.3 litres
B234 (1994 on) 4.7 litres
B308: 4.5 litres
Difference between MAX and MIN dipstick marks: 1.0 litre approx.

Well all I know is I am over the MAX line. Just dont know whether I need to drain the excess or not.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How much over is it? Can you extrapolate from the 1 litre min-max distance to guess how much over you are? suppose it would be advisable to drain excess off, never found out why, if at atmospheric pressure, i.e. at dipstick and various breathers, then overpressure should not occur. But maybe something else goes wrong when too much oil, anybody want to instill a little knowledge?

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It has just been pointed out to me that the crank hitting the surface of the oil pool will result in the oil becoming aerated and the pump delivering a air/ oil mixture to the detriment of the bearings.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I remember years ago BMC had problems with blown up engines in Austin Maxis and Pricesses - but only in Australia.
It seems that on a "better safe than sorry" basis, Australians regularly topped up the oil to well over the "full" mark, resulting in nicely aerated oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.