Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been to Halfords.. to buy a, hell forgotten now, never mind, BUT.. I was going to buy some 'OIL' as well, Mobil 1 of course.. 4 lts, ' HOW MUCH...' £35 for 4 lts, is some one taking the P*^^ or is that up and down the Good old UK.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Been discussed much recently, with some excellent input from oilmansi

Basically, you get what you pay for. I'm more than happy to pay £35 every 6 months for top quality oil. It equates to a mere 3% of my fuel bill... which means if I didn't also run Optimax, I could pay for 4 Mobil 1 oil chnages a year and still be better off.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bubbles, I agree the with what you say
you get what you pay for[/b]
BUT, £35 for 4 lts, is a but rich, £35 for 5 lts I do not have a problem with and if I recall the B204 motor takes 5.5 lts, so £35 / 4 = £8.75 per liter thats £48.125 to do an oil change.
I just think that like all else in this country, we are being riped off and the realy funny thing is we seem to enjoy it because we do nouthing about it we just go out and pay what ever is asked.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi gents

I aggree. The prices in the UK are a little high in comparison to other EU countries. I live in Spain and travel to the UK every summer in my saab 9000 CDE 2.0 auto 1995. A lovely drive. I always get her services in Spain before I go as it is much cheaper and I know it is more or less the same in France. I pay ([email protected]/hr) 20 GB pounds for labour in the local saab dealers compared to the extravagant 53 GB pounds/hr I paid in saab Oxford. It might be worth it for those who live close to Dover to cut accross to France for a service there and do some shopping.

Hope it helps.

Andy

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 for about the last 900,000 miles or so since 1979. Ok, that's for one Toyota, two 1985 900T, one 1987 900S, and one 1992 CD9000T.

The going price here is about $24 for a six pack or quarts, plus tax of course!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soneway you say and I quote “The going price here is about $24 for a six pack of quarts, plus tax of course! “ that’s $24 = £12.83 in GBP’s I would like to know what the TAX is, I think we all would.

6 quart [US, liquid] = 5.6781177 litre, just right to do an oil change on a B204 engine

Your getting something for £12.83 when we pay £35 for 4 litre = 4.2267528 quart [US, liquid]

Are the good people of the UK subsidising the good people of the USofA ?

How about the rest of the world ?

I'm thinking of starting a thread for the comparison of fuel price, just to see who pays what ( here on SS )on 95 and 97 octane fuel, I’ll look around the pump prices of my local service stations later…to follow on.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Joe, Don't go there! Discussing the worldwide Oil price is too depressing! I was in Alabama on business earlier in the year and driving down the interstate 'Gas' is advertised at around $1,80 to $1,90. OK given that the Americans have smaller gallons, that is still just over £1 a gallon (IMP). To make matters worse here we have to buy the stuff in litres, so most people over, say, 25 have no idea of the true cost of petrol. £20 worth costs £20 and that's all I can tell you about it. ******* EEC is all I can say!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Just to point out that it's not all tax. Those of us that shop at Costco will tell you that you can pick up Mobil 1 4l for about £23 inc VAT, somewhat different from the £35 elsewhere.

Figure - Costco is making money @ 23 quid, Halfords et al. is simply pocketing the other £12 thanks.

David.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah petrol... yeah goverments!!!
last time I was in the uk... all prices per L
95 Ul £0.82
97 Ul £0.87
Here in France
95 Ul Euro 1.14
97 Ul Euro 1.16

Just for the record, the tax on UK fuel amounts to about 80% of what you pay.. ie every £10 you pay for, the gov gets £8 of it....duty/vat/tax

Highly depressing..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi guys

Here in Spain fuel costs are as follows:

At a national garage "Repsol" or "Petranor" you'll pay 0.99€/l for 98 octane and at a BP garage you can buy 98 octane Ultimate for 1.09€/l. One GB pound is about 1.4 euros.

I have no idea, as yet, for oil prices, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out, ok?

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fuel price and Government tax.
We actually had a service station operator here in Brisbane who took on the Government over tax on fuel when the GST(VAT) was introduced here a few years back. He posted the price outside his servo' with the TAX and Fuel price listed as two parts of the price and here it was about 50 50. Still sucks doesn't it, they do stuff all and get half the take!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
someone mentioned Costco, didn't know you had them there? Are they the same ones as stateside?

that $24 is a Costco price. Anybody know where the stuff is actually made/manufactured? If it's synthetic then it doesn't start with oil by the barrel?

I wasn't trying to rub it in, just sharing the cost here. Really!

·
Registered
300 Posts
oops, didn't answer you question. it's sales tax, and it depends upon the City, County, and/or the state you are in. San Diego County is 7.75%, so that is it. Just 20 miles North of me in Orange county tax is 8.75. Sales tax is on sales of just about everything except basic food. Unless it's served in a resturant.

In California, clothing, beer, wine, TV's and the like all get sales tax. Car tires get basic sales tax, plus a Federal Excise Tax (and *don't* ask me what that is...).

My wife is from Minnesota and *they* don't have sales tax on clothing. Guess it's considered a necessity or you freeze?

Some states have sales tax on just about *everything*.

How about your lot?

I agree about the Tax on Petrol, err gas. We have both State and Federal tax per gallon and it's amount is posted on the pump. I know, I know, we still don't pay what you guys do. I don't know why, I'm not in charge, but I'm glad we aren't there, yet...

Price for a US gallon in San Diego now averages about $2.45. Some stations in the Los Angeles area are charging over $3 per gallon (as seen on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno).

California has different types of petrol for different seasons. Oxygenated for better emissions this time of year. We are the only state to do it so that makes it a smaller market and results in a larger price. We have the highest price in the US excepting Hawaii. Not bitching, just sharing.

I *am* old enough to remember paying 25.9 cents per gallon... Don't start...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to make everyone sick, my partners parents live in Minsk, Belarus.
Last time I was ther, petrol, 98 octane was SEVEN pence per litre.
I couldnt believe it.
Also I was in Abu Dhabi last year, 22p per litre.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here in France
95 Ul Euro 1.14
97 Ul Euro 1.16[/b]
So France is not that far of the UK,
79p & 80p that's gone up since I was there last year, cannot remember how much it was then, Aug. 2004.

98 octane was SEVEN pence per litre.

Also I was in Abu Dhabi last year, 22p per litre.[/b]
This is what i would like to see here, (Dream On )

BP garage you can buy 98 octane Ultimate for 1.09€/l., in Spain[/b]
79p still high, not far off the UK, but do the EEC pay Road TAX as in the UK ?

I see another OIL Pipe was blown up in Iraq and that BP refinery in the US won't help matters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.