Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another oil thread but I remember something about GTX Magnatec before.

My 2.0 LPT has been serviced by a main dealer previously and has GTX Magnatec in it. All seems fine the milage is low at 70k and the time has come for another service - not at the dealer obviously.

The place where I will take it uses some sort of semi-synthetic - I think its Havoline - not sure of the rating.

Would this be ok or should I stick iwth GTX Magnatec as that's what the engine has been used to & seems to work fine with?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just found the previous posts about GTX Magnatec - particuarly interesting about timing chain noise.

Mine uses no oil , it still looks good on the dipstick but I do get a deepish rattle when accelerating at low revs

Coincidence?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Having said that, Saab Turbo Oil is, I believe, semi-synthetic and that seems to do the job.  [/qb][/b]
BillJ, Saab Turbo oil comes as either fully synthetic (gold container) or semi synthetic (silver container). They also have a mineral oil (black container). HTH

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Fully synthetic is the best oil to use for yur car, reagrdless of whether or not it's a turbo or NA- as long as you can get the correct grade of viscosity.

Basically, synthetic oils have higher burning points (resists carbonisation on hot surfaces eg turbo shaft), have a purer molecular structure that makes them a better lubricant and are more resistant to emulsification under heat and pressure and thus not only perform better, but do so for longer (note I'm not advocating extended change intervals- mine is every 6000miles/6 months regardless).

Saab turbo oil is indeed fully synthetic (they actually wanted to use Mobil 1, but Mobil wouldn't let them).

HTH

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Indeed, you are correct. Saab Turbo Oil is also available in fully-synthetic.

Mark, I'd love to have seen how brightly Bubbles' turbo could have been made to glow on the rolling road with over twice as much power as Cissie. For that matter, I should have looked at the Aero's turbo last time I had it there...

As I say, it makes me worry that any oil would not be good enough, which is why I use the highest spec. I can get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.