Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to use Mobil 1 ages ago,and Again I meant to say this in the first letter!.

someone said "dont waste your money,its an old car with quite high millege you wont see/feel any diffirence with it a good ordinary oil will do",I said "but remember its a turbo","doesnt matter your engines to old now".
And if memory serves me right it was a guy in halfords.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have used Mobil 1 since it has been available in Australia, at great expense I might add,in a 99 8 valve turbo, 900 16 valve turbo and now in my 9000 aero, and I am yet to have any problems at all with any of them. Mobil ran a BMW around the nurburgring circuit for a million miles on mobil 1 changing the oil at every specified service, and when they stripped the engine down afterwards they did NOT find any components that were out of manufacturers tolerance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
old engines need better protection anyway - halfords is good if you know what you want or can find one of their more experienced guys - usually at the parts desk when it's quiet on Mondays.

as an aside, what do people think about the high-performance version of Slick 50?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Use Mobil1 but select the 15W/50 version (called motorsport I think). It is same price as 0W/30. Both are available ex Halfords but the 'thicker' one is not usually kept by smaller places. To really get it right you could buy one of each and mix them to give a 'middle viscosity'.
I believe other grades are available abroad - anyone know? Cheaper?
re Slick50, obvoiusly you haven't seen in the news that the manufacturers recently coughed up $50million 'cos they can't show their product has any effect. Usual disclaimers. I have the website address somewhere that is really a good read about oil, I'll post on this topic when I find it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quarryeff is right by surgesting using thicker sythetic oil in older higher milage cars, the thin mobil 1 can cause tappets to rattle as it,s not got the viscosity to hold up the hydraulic tappets on older engines it can cause oilpressure problems as well, especally if you change to mobil 1 after useing mineral oil on high milage cars, but it's the dogs b*****ks for new or low milage Saab engines, my 232,000 miles on my 900 cd and on origonal(but not timing chain) engine and most of that has been done with castrol magnatec it's thick enough to keep oil pressure and tappets quite, but I do change the oil every 6k on all 4 of my Saabs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts