Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been aired before but I still have a question,and it is this:
Considering the price of Mobil and the fact that it only comes in a Four liter can rather than the normal 4.5L,is it realy so superior to say Magnatex?
Using Castrol I could afford to half the mileage between changes and still be on top.
Views please

·
Registered
117 Posts
Castrol Magnatec is a semi-synthetic oil. I have used this oil in the past, both in turbo and normally aspirated engines -was not impressed.

Castrol RS is a full synthetic oil and more of a match for Mobil 1. I used the 10W/60 variety in my previous car -was very impressed. Even after 18 months the oil showed no sign of breaking down.

I will be changing the oil soon (Saab 9000 2.3t 225hp) and because of the cold weather, I want to use 0W/40 instead of the recommended 5W/30 (SAAB oil). This will be either Mobil 1 or Castrol RS -depending on price.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnatec can be bought as either semi or fully synthetic,I have used both on last two cars both with excellent results untill last drain down,when I found the oil had jellyfied,why I do not know.
So I started to ask around by sending a few Emails.I had limited response to these enquiry's,but those that did respond,all recomended Mobil 1.That includes Jordan Racing who use Elf!!
McClaren use the same Mobil 1 that I shall be buying later this week,Jordans Elf is not available over the counter.
I am now convinced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts