Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 200 miles of trouble free motoring I'm back on this page seeking more advice!

My Saab 9000 2.0 turbo (1993) is still cutting out. Clearly the car mistakingly believes this kind of behaviour is funny. It's not and I have tried to explain this to her many times now without reward.

Let me explain the problem, the engine stops when moving slowly, or idling, or changing gear. Usually it can be restarted imeadiatly, but as I have found out, don't bank on it. (The police had to push me off a box junction in Selly Oak on the A38 the other day, then she started up fine about 10 minutes later. Ha ha. ) If I'm left rolling along fast enough I can drop down a gear and get the engine going properly again, but to do that I have to get the engine spinning above 3000.

I have played about with the slow running control valve. It's all cleaned out seems to move ok on its spring. The fuse box seems clean and corrosion free inside. The battery is good and I've removed all the dodgy alarm and phone electrics etc. There are no gaping holes in the air pipes.

Right at the back of the engine bay there are two small pipes coming out of the inlet bit. The one on the right heads towards the turbo. I don't really know what it does, but should I be able to suck through it?

I really need your help people, I'm more used to VWs and they only have about 4 moving parts!

Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's happening with the clutch engaged in second or third. I just feel the power and throttle response go, and it'l grind slowly to a halt unless I drop a gear. At which point I'll catapult into the car infront...

Thanks for your intrest! I really do need all the help I can get!

Pete

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Doesn't sound like the AIC valve to me, mine only gave trouble when the clutch was depressed as it couldn't control the sudden drop to idle and the engine would stall, a quick clean up as already mentioned in your other thread cured mine.
I've not heard of the DI causing this type of problem either, they usually either fail completely or missfire a little at peak torque under accelleration.
Possibly a fuel starvation problem, but I'm just guessing out loud here. What's the fuel filter look like. Has it been changed at all? Or perhaps a dodgy fuel pump, these used to be big money though... and probably still are .

Nick.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Right at the back of the engine bay there are two small pipes coming out of the inlet bit. The one on the right heads towards the turbo. I don't really know what it does, but should I be able to suck through it?

[/b]
I'm not too sure about the 93 2.0L turbo so someone please correct me if this is wrong. The pipe being descibed above sounds like the pipe going to the recirculating dump valve next to the turbo. If you take it off at the inlet manifold end you sould not be able to suck through it. If you can and the 93 has an air-mass meter in the inlet pipe to the turbo then this is your problem. If could be just a split pipe or the dump valve. The pipe also goes to a Y-piece near the thermostat with another pipe from the bulk head going to the boost gauge. There could also be a leak round here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts