Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 9000 Carlsson 2.0l 1990 137k

I think my head gasket is away The signs I'm getting are.....Eratic tickover, loss of water and blue smoke from the exhaust when ticking over. The blue smoke is caused I think by the cam cover breather hose which is connected to the inlet intake just after the Turbo ?? the reason I think this is beacause 2 weeks ago I had a lot of messy oil around the fitting, i cleaned it up and looking at it now it seems worse than before. The Blue smoke at tickover is a little embarassing sitting at traffic lights.
I am going to replace the headgasket any hints/tips/links ?
Also my timing chain has a noticable rattle with the bonnet up would it be sensible to replace it now? and if so are there any hints/tips/links and special tools I would need

TIA C

·
Registered
552 Posts
Certainly well worth doing the chain at the same time as the head gasket. Haynes and Quasimotor.com both do a good description of the basis of the work, but you need to keep your wits about you as a lot of the write-up refers to later models.

Before you start any dismantling, try and loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt - I had to get my friendly local garage to air-gun it loose.

Also, it is possible to remove the head with the turbo still attached, which saves trying to remove the exhaust manifold studs.

I don't want to depress you, but the usual way to test the turbo oil seals is to get the engine hot then let it tick over for 3 minutes - blue smoke = failed oil seals

Oh and Townsend's site gives a good head gasket change write up for a B202 engine here

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Originally posted by DaveS:
[qb]I don't want to depress you, but the usual way to test the turbo oil seals is to get the engine hot then let it tick over for 3 minutes - blue smoke = failed oil seals  

[/qb][/b]
Both times I've had a headgasket go on my Saabs, I had a fair bit of blue smoke on tickover, it's just where the oil can get into the cylinders. Once the engine has a bit of speed, the pressure keeps the oil from getting into the cylinders.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Cross your fingers and hope it's just what Neil says

I've just been rereading Quasi's timing chain notes and for a 1990, you can ignore the bit about removing the power steering pump - unbolt it and move it clear but leave it connected.

When you unbolt the timing chain tensioner, keep your hand over the bolt to stop the little spring flying out and disappearing.

And it's a good idea to mark the relative positions of the camshafts, bearings and pulleys, before you start disassembling.

Have fun!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs

This weekend should see the job done provided the head gasket arrives.
Thanks for the tip regarding the chain tensioner
I've printed it out along with all the strip down procedures I could find to keep me right when I do the job.
cheers C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts