Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
It would also be worth making sure that the dealer actually meant that the car had 105K miles on the clock and not simply that they'd done a 105K mile service (if such a thing exists?).

Point being, that services are both mileage and time dependent, so even if you don't do 12K miles each year, it should have the next service. It's therefore possible to need, say, a 108K service with less miles than that actually being driven.

Ade

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
She does not look like a car that has done that sort of mileage tho,very little wear on seats, steering is not worn either.[/b]
That's part of the problem with Saabs - they carry their miles well. My 1999 9-5 has covered nearly 177,000 miles, the seats aren't worn, there is no sag in the seat base, the steering gear is all original - in fact, until 500 miles ago the turbo was original. The timing chains don't rattle. The sump hasn't been dropped. It burns no oil. It has had nothing other than service items replaced. The bodywork is excellent and rust-free. If I told you it had done half the mileage you'd believe me. So the plus side is that yours could well go on forever! As someone else said, knowing the true mileage to ensure that it is looked after appropriately is the key thing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Clocking of UK cars before they go on sale in Ireland is a massive problem - it was highlighted by the AA in Ireland last year - but they were shouting loudest because they are one of the very few people in ireland offering a HPI service for UK cars - i.e. the full printout of when & where the mileage was logged, recorded serious damage (a write-off), or if it was ever stolen. All important stuff.

With ex-fleet high-mileage UK cars coming in, people often leave the genuine high mileage on the car when paying the VRT - a car with 120,000 miles on the clock costs a lot less in VRT than one with 60,000 miles. VRT is based on value of the car in Ireland (the Revenue Commissioner's estimated value - the OMSP).

Then, after this, cars may get clocked & go for their first NCT (Irish MOT) which will then have the low mileage on it. The Revenue Receipt, service history, UK MOT & bills etc go in the fire, and everyone lives happily ever after - until someone discovers the hidden truth (as you have done).

There is no connection between the computers at the revenue office & those of the NCT people - so there's a massive gap there to be exploited by clockers.

Steps I would do:

1) Get onto the Irish AA, get a HPI done. Look for recorded mileages in the UK, i.e. when & at what mileage. this may tell you whether or not the car was clocked during its UK residency.
2) Go to the Revenue Office (Vehicle Registration Office) where the car was originally declared & registered at (you can tell this by the registration on the car - G-Galway, DL-Donegal etc etc). Bring your Irish Registration Document & some ID with you, state your case & ask to see the original declaration for VRT. This will have the mileage on it at the time of import, so will be able to tell you if it was clocked before this time, or afterwards. Compare this to the recorded NCT mileage.
3) From there, have a long think about what your next course of action is. Anyone you may implicate may deny it was them - but at least you may get to the bottom of whether it was clocked in the UK or Ireland. If Ireland, I guess there's a couple of ways you could handle it, but I'll leave that up to you.

Not everything coming in to Ireland gets clocked, or has a dodgy past, so don't be put off buying an ex-UK car there - but get a HPI done & make sure it has the service history.

Lastly, garages, the HPI people & the DVLA do make mistakes - I know this from first hand experience when a car I bought once went from 23,000 to 54,000 in 4 weeks (the lower mileage was the correct one - of course ;) ) so any report should be read in conjunction with any other evidence available.

Good luck, keep us posted.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts