Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started getting a strange steering wheel wobble, well, not a wobble as such, it's moving left-right-left-right (small movements in fairly quick succession) of it's own accord . It's more noticeable at low speeds and doesn't affect the car's direction of travel. I did a search under steering rack problems but couldn't find anything that matched this (the car's done 90k, is something worn/broken/about to fall off!?).
Thanks in advance.
Leo.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If it's happens in a straight line and varies with speed than it could be a bent or out of balance wheel.

If it happens when you are cornering, then the valves have (probably) failed in the power steering rack.

I had the rack replaced under warrantly on my Aero at 90,000m for that very problem.

It went round the corners fine, but you could feel the steering wheel pulse in your hands.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes, I agree it's a tyre out of round. Used to be quite common with Pirellis a few years ago. Seems there was not enough "stiffening" in the construction and as they wore down the the reduced tread rubber made them less stiff and they would go out of round. I've had this happen more than once and you only notice at low speeds.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I noticed exactly this on a 9000 V6 auto courtesy car the other day. Pronounced side-to-side wobble at low speeds with no associated vibration at higher speeds (to my surprise). I also noticed the lack of straight-line stability at speed, characteristic of worn wishbone bushes (the car had covered nearly 170K miles, so they would be well overdue for replacement if they were original).

From this anecdotal evidence, I'd say that if the wishbone bushes have done more than about 60K miles, I'd have them replaced and then check for the problem again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
sorry for bringing this old message back into play, but I am experiencing the same.

My aero has a fair bit of play in steering column - i have just tightened bolt as billj describes.
Also, when under braking and slow gentle speeds, the wheel boves rapidly left/right constantly 0 almost like torque steer. Wish bone bushes replaced - tyres on front are old and due replacement- is it likely to be out of balance - Leo did you get yours sorted?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a little suggestion for anyone suffering from possible steering/tyre problems and you suspect the wheels and tyres.
If you have a spare half hour or so you could swap both front wheels and tyres for those on the back.
Then if any problems disappear then you have eliminated steering rack or suspension as a possible cause,seems a good idea to me but I bet you all knew that anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts