Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering lately about engine/gas/oil treatments. Such as octane booster, Can I use it all the time? or just periodically? Or oil treatments, Will they do more harm than good in the Saab Engine? I was curious, thinking about putting in cleaning, and enhancing additives. Has anyone had good experiences with a particular additive? If so what kind, and brand?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I use Holts Redex fuel injector cleaner in my 900 every 6K miles or so. I also use Bars Rad Leak in the cooling system. They're the sort of preventative measures you're never really sure is preventing anything. I mean would the injectors have blocked if I wasn't using the cleaner? I'll never know.

I've never tried oil treatments as I change the oil and filter every 6K miles and I'm not convinced they'd do any extra good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use fuel system cleaners and oil additives religously in my cars. The only one you should be using(because it actually works!!) is anything from LUCAS products!!! I've been using their products for a few years now in all my cars,I've ran it in my mother's '93 benz 300E,and her '83 BMW 535I,and my '86 buick regal 5.0 V-8,'86 mazda 626,'87 mazda RX-7,and now in my '91 9k turbo. The oil stabilizer is great it stops leaks,and conditions ur oil to stick to the metal 10x's better than conventional oil's. The fuel system cleaner also works wonders!! Every car I've put it in has gotten better mileage,throttle response,and quicker acceleration.

JUSTIN=^)
P.S.-NO IM NOT A "SPOKESPERSON" for LUCAS but they're [expletive deleted] works and I wouldnt recommend it if it didnt!!!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
redex injector cleaner does make the engine smoother but only when you at least double the advised dose.

i used to use molyslip at every change but stopped when there was a slight sludge build-up. everything still sounds and runs the same wiithout it so maybe the engine parts still have the molybdenum coating on them - who knows?

somebody mentioned a cheap octane booster here some time ago - available in drums but can't remember the name...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Toluene ?
If so, believe mix ratio is 10 percent Toluene, 90 percent Fuel. I have not tried out yet.

Day to day, I use Optimax Fuel coupled with Wynns octane booster, a bit cheaper than some, at £3.99 for a small bottle which covers 50 litres of fuel, the average fill up I suppose. Together,these give me an extra mile or two per gallon (at most), worked out over 3 to 4K.
Andy.

·
Registered
776 Posts
PS, about time you had some stars blackcarlsson.
Like me, you probably think this star playing thing a bit silly,but have some anyway.
A couple for having a nice car, and a couple for your lyrical waxings, and another one too.
Andy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks guys. You know just testing the water before I jump. Hmmm, well actually one more question. Does anyone have experience with STP, slick 50,(you know........... Wal-mart) products?
You know my umm..... friend shops there... yeah... . well just me know so I can tell him. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
188 Posts
STP/SLICK50=[expletive deleted]!! I've said it b4,I'll say it again,...LUCAS is the ONLY one to use!! STP & slick50 makes so many other products they cant focus on one in particular. LUCAS only makes a few products and can afford to focus on each one and make sure it does what is say's it does,...unlike slick50 and stp. U decide,do u want the stuff that made specifically for something,or the stuff that was just thrown together to fill a void in the product line??

JUSTIN=^)
AIM/MSN-SAAB9KTURBO

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Adding fuel injector cleaner every 6k miles sounds excessive. I use STP (or similar) injector cleaner once a year (max), and it definately can make the idle smoother where particulates have built up on injectors.

Continual use of Redex can cause a brown ceramic like deposit to build up on the spark plugs, and elsewhere in the cylinder head! Some mechanics recon it actually causes damage if used continiously, but any other feedback will be of interest.

If Slick 50 works as stated, by coating every moving part with PTFE, then it is bound to reduce cold start wear and tear, etc. I have used it several times without any known problems, but also read some negative publicity recently which stated that there was, "no evidence existing to prove that Slick 50 actually benefits the car". Again, any other feedback will be of interest.

Of course, a good brand of petrol (like Shell) has it's own 'cleaning' agents added, which are supposed to clean injectors, the fuel system and valves, as standard. Optimax claims to be the best fuel in this respect, and for £2.50 extra per tank (compared to UK std unleaded), wouldn't go amiss if used only occassionally in order to condition the fuel system.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Adding fuel injector cleaner every 6k miles sounds excessive. I use STP (or similar) injector cleaner once a year (max)[/b]
Too right! except 6k miles is once every year (2 years if my classic car policy is to be believed)

HEY do u UK guys even have LUCAS products over there?? So far it seems to only be a U.S. product.[/b]
Not seen an engine treatment product form them over here, mainly Holts and STP.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]QUOTE
Adding fuel injector cleaner every 6k miles sounds excessive. I use STP (or similar) injector cleaner once a year (max)[/b]
Too right! except 6k miles is once every year (2 years if my classic car policy is to be believed)

HEY do u UK guys even have LUCAS products over there?? So far it seems to only be a U.S. product.[/b]
Not seen an engine treatment product form them over here, mainly Holts and STP. [/qb][/b][/quote]I should send ya a bottle of each thing they make,the stuff's great.They have an oil stabilizer,fuel system cleaner,transmission fix,and something else I cant think of right now.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
When Molyslip first came out in the late 50's,I used it in the Engine of a Borgward ,adding it at every second oil change and it was great,untill that is the motor siezed solid,the cause was a blocked oilway in the crank.I have never been able to decide whether it was caused by the Molyslip or that the damage would have been far worse without it,untill that point i thought Molyslip the best thing etc etc.
Sorry Justin , we used to have a large electrical componant manufacturer by the name of Lucas,but they went to Italy I think,but no addatives to my knowledge,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oil additives is a very controversial subject. Heres some links I found to be interesting. I personally believe in the studies I have seen that show the additives to do more harm than good. I do however use synthetic motor oil, but I like to use a true synthetic, where as most are synthetic blends.
As for the octane boost, it increases your octane levels, which burns better, etc. But theres not much street use, its good for the track. If you want to spend that much money adding bosters to your tank fill ups, it might be cheaper in the long run to just install a NOS system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts