Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having an occasional misfire which I first thought may be turbo related but now i think it is coil/ direct injection related.
It is possible to replace indivadual coils from the cassette and if so who sells them?
If not available I don't want to shell out on a full price cassette so is there someone near by me with a spare or even a sound one that i could borrow for a test drive to see that this is the problem.
These things seem pricey and i haven't found many saabs in the scrap yards.
Nik

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
nik

Before you do anything so drastic, take off the DI cassette and squirt some WD40 down each barrel - this may work. Not my moment of inspiration...full subject can be found elsewhere on this forum

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Nik - what are the symptoms of the mis-fire. DI misfires have pretty well defined characteristics.

The DI cart, although having lots of Torx bolts on its underside doesn't seem to come apart too well (My brother and I are considering trying it just for an experiment) - so you are looking at a whole new one (and I guess you could argue that if 1 coil is on its way out then the others are probably not far behind).

Steve

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Just out of interest what petrol are you using?My Gm900 used to misfire at idle when running on Optimax. I changed to Texaco and the misfiring stopped.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Steve
My auto would still do it in D with foot on the brakes as well as in N but never, never through the rev range. Seriously, if you are running Optimax, change brands for a tankful or two and see if it disappears.

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for tha advice so far. I have had the cassette apart - no problem. I cleaned up the springs and the ends of the coils and applied some copper grease to ensure a good contact.
The coils are full of oil and can not be topped up.
When i put it back together is was fine on the first or second run before the misfire returned- perhaps the fiddling and movement improved them temporarily????

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by nik:
[qb]and applied some copper grease to ensure a good contact.
[/qb][/b]
That might be the cause of you problem... if any of the copper grease has made it into the lower section of the boot, then it could be forming a path that's allowing arcing. I would disassemble it and clean it thoroughly.

I've posted some info on cleaning DIs here in the Performance section

1 - 8 of 8 Posts