Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Although this isn't for a Saab I figure there's lots of people with good turbo knowledge on here.

Mate of mine is thinking of buying a turbo conversion for his kitcar, the bloke selling the tubo kit is known to have one good and one knackered turbo (damaged bearing). Both turbos will be off the car so a drive isn't possible.
What should he look for to ensure that the turbo he buys is the good one? Presumably it's just a case of checking for play on the bearing/spindle, or is there anything else worth looking out for?
Any general advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i'd be careful about buying either.. a turbo bearing can feeel okay in your hand, but once exposed to 100,000rpm and monster temperatures it might not be so sweet - you can't exactly examine the insides or oilway/waterway on it either.. hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sorry but there is no way to tell by looking...
my very expensive turbo looked like a piece of rust cr4p after a couple of weeks !!
the only way is try and feel for play in the spindle and any obvious carbonization and oil leaks ... thats about it

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Timd,

Likewise, I have one with big cracks in the casting, covered in oil, 262,000 miles on it, been over boosting by 50% for 100,000 miles and it still runs like a dream but looks like rubbish.

You really need it on a car or testbed to know unless it has obvious "i'm bad" signs such as too much slop, wear marks on the impellow etc.

Andrew.

PS, where abouts in Attlebough? I'm just 3 miles from Watton.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Andrew, all useful info. Does kinda look like he'll be taking a bit of a gamble on it then if he doesn't get it properly tested out.

I'm on "Springfields" in Attleborough.. There's quite a few people on here from this way it seems!

Cheers,
Tim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.