Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first saab and its a great car, but im not sure about if its the model listed and would like some assistance to be sure.

Firstly it's a 1990 9000i S, 2.0L non-turbo.

See, it has a "airbag" sticker on the drivers door but not an Airbag in the steering wheel?
the colour is "cherry red" which i read was pre-1990 only, and i read also (not that my sources are accurate at all) that 1990 came standard with "ABS" & "DriverSide Airbag".

Just a couple of things so far but more keep poping up to make me worried. + the manufacture date on the paperwork says 31/12/1990, but first MOT was 06/1990?

So if anyone can help me out with this one or knows where/how i might get an original "Owners/User Manual" then Please let me know,
It would be a great help and assurance.

Plus im now looking for a drivers door central locking motor, & not having much luck.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi PTK and welcome .

Some easy answers:

Owners manual- try a local dealer or Indy- they're not usually that expensive.

The "airbag" sticker is not for an airbag, but a warning as the seatbelts have pre-tensioners on them. Airbags weren't fitted to 9000s until MY94 onwards IIRC.

Yes, ABS is standard.

Central locking motor- these come up fairly often on eBay.

As far as MOT etc goes- silly question- are you sure you're not reading the date of first registration? Anyway if you follow the link to BillJ's 9000 site at the bottom of this page and enter your VIN, it will be able to tell you more.

HTH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks, thats most of it covered then,
i like pre-tensioners better than Airbage anyways.

Good to know about the ABS, not that i have mannaged to get the brakes to lock yet even with a brake test (has lots of pad left too, checked today) but ill have to test it tomorow if it's supposed to

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
PTK,if you gave some indication of where in the country you are,someone will probably tell you of a spares source in your area,I think your colour is "Lipstick Red"
If fitted with ABS a warning light will show on the dash for a few seconds after start-up.
mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
PTK, if you still need a central locking motor, Maplin do one for less than a tenner, brand new. It's a straightforward fit - you need the 5-wire version for the driver's door.

Wiring details are here:
Saab wiring harness in door: one double connector with two red wires. Connect to Maplin blue and green. (If you hold the connector with the flat side facing you and the red wires at the top, the green goes bottom left and the blue bottom right)

Saab wiring harness in door with triple connector,wires black, red, green. Connect to Maplin black, brown, white, in that order.
This applies to a 1989 9k but it looks like it applies to later models too. Maplin don't give a wiring diagram and Haynes bears no resemblance to reality

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb] QUOTE
central locking motor, Maplin  [/b]
Whereabouts on their website is it and does it have the microswitch fitted to it so it triggers all door locks? [/qb][/b][/quote]Search for part number YD78K.
The 5-wire version (YD78K) has three wires for the switch. Having checked the wiring for a later ('96) 9000, the colours aren't the same as the '89. The motor wires (2-pin connector) are the same colour as on a '92 C900 I recently fitted one of these units to. By experimentation, I found the Maplin blue wire should connect to the Saab Violet wire, and the Maplin green wire to the Saab brown/white wire.

Once those are connected, it should be simple to figure out the other three by experimentation. There are only four possible combinations. Test by seeing whether the key in the lock works all other locks correctly.

At a guess, start by connecting the Maplin black wire to the Saab black wire. The other two are red and yellow on later 9000s. Try assuming the red wire is the same as Dave's '89 and connect it to Maplin brown, then the yellow to Maplin white. I don't think you can do any damage by getting this connector wrong.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for that, Bill. I've only ever done pre-facelift cars - it's handy to know the later wiring colours.

I found the wiring out by trial and error too, without blowing the motor up.

Incidentally, Maplin call it a "door lock motor" if you need to look it up. The two-wire version is a straight replacement fit on the other doors, too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the maplin 5 wires lock thinking one of my front door lock was faulty, turns out it is probably one of the rear ones. Since I have the part, will the 5 wires maplin part work at the rear as well if I leave the extra 3 wires unconnected?

Cheers,
Stephane

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.