Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, advice needed please

9-5 3.0 TiD 2002 124,000 miles.

Have sufferd years of lethargic performance (& occasional stalling & non starting) due to a sticking EGR valve. Valve constantly open and the plenum chamber gets badly clogged with thick black deposits. I tried using EGR cleaner but eventually the best fix was a thin sheet of aluminium to blank of the manifold as it goes into the plenum chamber. Car worked wonderfully well for approx 300 miles but then symptoms returned. Removed original aluminium blank to find it had been burnt through.

Drove another 100 miles until I managed to get some more aluminium and have this time replaced the single blank and gasket with 4 sheets of blanks. Test drove the car for about 10mins last night after fix and drove superb again.

However, this am, wife tries to drive car and it won't start. Can't understand why, as blanking plate mod never caused any problems first time and car drove fine last night. Is it possible I have dislodged some soot from the earlier 100 miles and this is blocking injectors or fouling some sensor?

Many thanks

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ignore all that guff above! It was a flat battery. Jumped it from my 9-3 and all running sweet. Fantastic fuel economy now, getting 42mpg on the motorway. Compares well to the 9-3 TTiD auto which is returning about 45-50mpg for the same journey.

I'll be ready and waiting with a blanking plate for the 9-3 EGR when that inevitably starts playing up. What a daft idea. I've spent years and £100's on injector cleaners, EGR cleaners, worrying it was the turbo, when all along its just some stupid, irrelevant, cheap (but not to replace) valve clogging up!

Love my 9-5 again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, got a 2.2 tid similar issues. Do you have any photos showing your "fix" and where you put the blanking plate?Cheers Jon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.