Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rather think my turbo ('91 SE 2.3t) may be imitating the infamous Norwegian Blue Parrot - it is deceased. Views and advice welcome.

Since I got the new downpipe fitted I've noticed a rumbling vibration at about 2750 revs. I put it down to a vibration in the pipe itself, perhaps not secured properly under the car. There were, at that time no abvious signs of performance degradation.

Yesterday it dawned on me the car wasn't performing as well as I expect - but I wasn't pushing it hard. Then I tried pushing it a bit and there was no kick in the back, and I realised that the Turbo indicator wasn't moving at all - just indicating at the top of the white all the time.

The turbo was new in March last year and has done approx 25,000 miles.

Does it sound like a new one is needed?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
could be your wastegate rod has fallen off..
but you turbo could have seized

However all is not lost ..
Take the inlet trunking off to the turbo and the turbo has a small nut on it.. 8 mm I believe
you can try freeing it with the old socket set
and if it is stuck and starts to move you just keep working it till it is really free ..I stuck the socket on the portable drill and spun it up..
This was 50 k miles ago and I have had no problems since ..worth a try.. takes 10 mins and could save you lots ££££
good luck !!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, i'd look at the wastegate first. Sounds like it's open for one reason or another. Maybe it's hooked up wrong.

One thing you could try (very carefully) is to disconnect the hose going to the wastegate and see if you can get any boost that way. Be careful that you don't put it into the red zone though, 'cause nothing is going to open the wastegate at that point.

If you get boost that way, then i'd look at a fault further upstream- either your connection from the boost pressure control valve is wrong or possibly the valve is not working anymore.

Hope that helps.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts