Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been after a custom ECU for some time now for my 9k 2.0 former lpt with T28 turbo, well it arrived from Nordic yesterday . Unfortunatly I arrived home from work at about midnight so I was unable to try it out until this evening.

Having phoned Nordic a couple of weeks ago they told me they had a custom map for the T28 which they had dynoed at 301hp....just what I was after even better news was...try before you buy
So, I now have a custom ECU for my T28 and have been told by Nordic to try it out, get it r/r tested if I like and if I am not happy with it I can send it back

After a short adaption run all I can say is MENTAL
although I do have one problem, at the moment it is overboosting, when hitting 1.5bar it cuts out and adapts down to 1.2bar, my base boost is slightly high at the moment so hopefully when I reset base boost it should sort it out.
I have a fairly new forge actuator with a spring rate of 5-10psi which should not be a problem, Nordic said the boost would be 1.4bar...so fingers crossed it will be the base boost.

I shall post the result on Sunday when I have the time to change it.

Steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sasse

Base boost was just over 0.5bar, I have just turned it down by two and a half turns hopefully that should reduce it enough.
I will be taking it for a run in a few minutes.

Steve

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick update and progress report on the Nordic ECU.

Since the Goodwood trackday I have not had a chance to sort the over boosting problem, had a couple of spare hours today so I managed to do a bit of tinkering with the base boost.

I think I have now managed to get everything more or less spot on, I was hitting overboost at 1.5bar but I have now managed to keep the boost from rising above 1.45bar although it does level down to 1.1bar fairly quickly...does this sound about right?
Once it has dropped to this level it stays there, unlike with my S/P ECU with the base boost slightly higher than normal it would start rising again at 4000 revs this did make the car feel like it had 2 power bands which was great fun.

Is the car now quicker?
My honest answer would have to be ...not sure!
If it is now running at the quoted 300hp and with an additional 30+nm of torque I guess it must be.

If I put the S/P ECU in with the base boost at the correct settings then I would have to admit that the Nordic ECU is quicker, however if I raise base boost with the S/p one fitted I don't think there is much difference between the two apart from the 2 power bands.

I Guess I will have to get out the AP22 and do a few runs with each ECU.

I am also wondering if I should be concerned about fuelling at this sort of power level considering this car started it's life as a 2.0 lpt with 150hp. Wow I have managed to double the orig. power, how many mass production cars can claim to do that without any engine mods, with only a slightly different turbo, larger exhaust, APC valve and a free flowing air filter oh! and not forgetting the ECU.

Back to fuelling I do have a set of "Green Giants" sitting here along with a 3bar map sensor.
When I ordered the Nordic ECU I was told I would not need them with this amount of power, only if I was going above the mentioned power levels.
Maptun also do a custom ECU for the T28 of which the power levels are identical however their software would require the injectors and map sensor,would it be wise for me to go down this route? (better to be safe than sorry) have I already answerd my own question? Any opinions?

Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi!

I have on my 9-5 aero stg 3 from Maptun. It runs about 1.3-1.35 bar max. I used to have rarely something like fuel cat. Then i got also an ECU from Nordic stg 3 in order to test it as you did. Nordic runs higher boost and the problem with fuel cat was then much more intesnsiv. Unfortunately the problem was a weak DI cassette and i noticed this only when it broke down. Since then i have no probs with fuel cat with the Maptun ECU and i think if i now had the Nordic ECU i wouldn't have any probs with it too. But this was my case and not all the cases are the same!

·
Registered
778 Posts
"I am also wondering if I should be concerned about fuelling at this sort of power level considering this car started it's life as a 2.0 lpt with 150hp."[/b]
Steve, if your car is getting the power that Nordic says it should, then fuel will be an issue. The stock injectors shouldn't be used for very much over 280 hp, at which point they are operating at full duty cycle. There are a lot of tuners that sell software that will deliver higher outputs with the stock injectors, but they rarely publicize the A/F ratios that stock injectors produce at high rpms. The other important thing to remember is that when using larger injectors, the software should match.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys.
My DI cassette is not very old so I can rule that one out

The custom ECU for my T28 from Maptun allows for higher boost than the Nordic one, hence the 3bar map sensor...I think!
Fuelling does concern me at these levels of power so I may as well use the injectors and map sensor that I have sitting here for the Maptun one.

Steve

·
Registered
778 Posts
Steve, be very careful! The MapTun ECU must be programmed specifically for the green giants - if not, then you run the risk of too much fuel and washing the oil film off of the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by zeke (aka Bob Lavergne):
[qb]Steve, be very careful!  The MapTun ECU must be programmed specifically for the green giants - if not, then you run the risk of too much fuel and washing the oil film off of the cylinder walls. [/qb][/b]
Thanks for the info Bob.
The upgrade would be the same as their stg 5 apart from the TD04HL18T #6, I would be keeping my T28.
The injectors I have are the green giants of which Maptun are aware.

Thanks again
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts