Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started racing an 89 9000.It's a non turbo 5speed.I race it on a couple of local dirt tracks.It has good power and speed but it's heavy compared to most of the other cars(civics,preludes,golfs).Turbo's are against the rules.Other than a high flow air cleaner I haven't done anything to it.Are there any tricks to get some more power out of it?I'm in the process of putting it on a diet and getting rid of some of it's weight.Any help at all would be great.Thanks.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Most say the largest single mod you can do to a non-turbo to get more power is headers. I would have to agree as far as bolt ons.

Buy, or have made, some niiice equal length long tube headers. Lots of power there. But you're not going to see over about 165 hp without serious head mods. Larger valves are another one. Saabs have teeeeeny little valves. They can be made quite a bit larger, and on a naturally aspirated engine that's easily worth 20-30 hp when combined with some minor porting.

Good luck!

Dubbya~

edit: Also getting larger valves made out of a lighter material like Titanium will substantially increase lift with the stock hydraulic lifters if you insist on running them. It's cheaper to get mechanical lifters though, and they're another big N/A power mod. They can actually increase valve lift significantly without increasing the size of your cam lobes. A good mod in my mind for a "race car" ... especially good since those stock Saab cams are actually about as good as you're going to get. Don't waste money on new cams until you've had quite a few other things done, and gotten those solid lifters. Bigger cams aren't worth much on those cars, unlike many other cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts