Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I.m suffering excessive transmission noise on my 2.3 T ...thrumming whine at low speeds...gets louder till its a loud drumming sound at about 70ish..It appears to be speed related rather than load related....I have replaced the wheel bearing and outer cv joint but to no avail....any ideas guys??

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm not a 9000 gearbox expert but I do know of their reputation for not being the strongest point of the car. My last 9000 had some gearbox noise for the last year that I owned it & my current car is starting to make the same noises at 74,000 miles although it is modified.

It would porbably help you if you used the search facility to look in the 9000 forum for gearbox problems / noise etc. You will find plenty of information there.

I'm sure that someone that knows far more than me will be along soon.

& welcome to Saabscene.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Havent tried it at 70.but have at lower speeds 40ish and there is no difference in noise..Pwer on or off doesnt seem to make any difference!!..I was originally suspicious of the inner cv joint but from what I,ve read their symptoms are load related!!??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you checked the oil level?

Use standard 10/30 grade oil NOT SYNTHETIC! or semi-synthetic.

Unlikly to be wheel bearing as these give no trouble until around 185K miles (nearside front for UK cars)

Never had drive shaft problems even after 265K Hard Driven miles (much on country lanes).

Had noisy gearbox eventually drop on the road though, oil and gears everywhere! Right on the apex of a bend of a single track country road. Worst place posible of course.

Suspect Dif support bearing? thats what went on mine, dif chewed its way throught the gearbox housing until the whole lot saw the light of day.

best of luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have checked the other (nearside) wheel bearing and there is no perceptable play or roughness..The noise appears to be coming from directly in line with the driver floorwell area and is less noticable from the passenger seat.!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having being visiting various saab sites and it sounds like it might be the the intermediate shaft bearing thats shot!!....Has anyone had this go!..what were the symptoms?..and is it a viable diy job??...according to haynes it should be possible to do it in-car without removing the engine

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, I've changed one of those before - well, not the bearing, but the intermediate shaft. You have to remove the fender liner and pull the cv joint out of it's driver. Once the axle is free, the whole intermediate shaft bearing support bracket can be removed from the engine and the hydraulic mount. The mount bracket has 3 bolts that attach to the engine and one bolt goes to the hydraulic mount. Anyway, the bearing is pressed into the support bracket along with the outer driver. Do yourself a favor, nessboat, and hose the area down well, with a high pressure spray, if possible - that area of the vehicle is prone to get pretty grimy. The job is made difficult if one doesn't have a lift, but a clean vehicle makes it much less dreadful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that Robert...I,m going to try to get my "hands" on it this weekend..to see if I can detect any wear in the bearing!! Would hate to buy all the parts and find its something else..Have already changed the wheel bearing and cv joint!! its getting expensive!!.We live and learn!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I,d update everyone who contributed to this story....turned out to be the nearside wheel bearing!!!....although the noise appeared to be coming from the offside region!!and there was no obvious play/wear...!!!...You live and learn!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.