Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I wouldn't dare enquire about sub woofers...this is a noise coming from the petrol tank. Car is a '97 2 litre LPT. Am I right in thinking there is a pump inside the tank ? It seems to be growling quietly.
Only started a couple of days ago...no other symptoms yet. I seem to remember similar noises before on a 900i which happened when fuel was low. Tank is currently half full....any idea guys ?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes there is a pump in the tank (in fact there is 2 of them, a lift pump and the main pump) and they tend to make a whining sound but it shouldn't be obtrusive in the car unless the back seats are folded down. before condemning the pump check that the tank vents are operating OK. When you unscrew the filler cap there should be no whoosh of air being drawn in.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Leprechaun indeed! As you are from 'Down Under', 'noises in the boot reminds me of a true(!) story I heard from an Australian friend some years ago.

Apparently Australian state boarders are manned by security to stop plants being carried from one state into another for pest controls, etc. So a guy drives up to a boarder checkpoint with his young mate in the boot, ready to 'surprise' the security guard. When security opens the boot, the chap inside springs up and shouts 'I'm Ug the Bug'! The security guy is so surprised he slams the boot lid down and kills the chap in the boot with a blw to the head! (Sounds like a candidate for the 'Darwin Awards' - search under www.Google.com)

Sorry for the digression.. but it could be Ug the Bug in your boot Paul R.

But I am inclinded to belive you have a fuel pump problem, as suspected. Probably wear in the diaphragm. If it gets as bad as to loose feed, sometimes turning ignition off and back on can temporarily fix it (did on an audi once, anyway!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't be a Leprechaun we got rid of all the rubbish (well nearly all of it) along time ago to a big dusty place in the southern hemisphere..... can't quite remember the name.
The tank seems to be venting OK so it looks like a dodgy diaphragm....nothing worse I'm told !
I would guess the pumps are not that hard to get at. Is there an inspection hatch under the boot floor, also do I need to visit the bankmanager for a new pump/repair kit or maybe look for Darby O'Gills pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.