Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two noises that I can't trace (89 Carlsson). Can anyone suggest possible answers?
1. An anoying tick tick tick tick tick blank tick tick tick tick tick blank...... seems to be coming from inside engine bay, probably on bulkhead. I hear it mainly in town when travelling slowly. It comes in at 15mph (goes away when speed drops <15), is not varied by roadspeed or engine speed, there in any gear, with or without clutch action, applying brakes does not affect it.

2. Whishing noise from front, sounds like a stone between disc/caliper or something under pad. Pads are 18 months old (don't know what sort), have lots of wear left in them. Have had the sound for 6 weeks. Again, only hear it in town poodling about. Could it be a sticking caliper piston?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, i'll try and be as helpful as possible as everyone has helped me so much, but my mechanical knowledge is not overly extensive!

1) I have no idea about that one i'm afraid. Mine makes an odd scratching noise under the same circumstances as yours, but you can't hear it outside the car - only when you are inside. I just turn my stereo up so i can't hear it! Oh the joys of adolescence!

2) Could it be a wheel bearing? Is it a whishing / whirring sound or just a whishing?

This is a baffling one - wish i could be of more help! Sorry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had both sounds recently with my '89 Carlsson,

I have been told that the ticking sound was the injectors and was normal..

The grinding/squeaking sound from the front wheel was put down to a sticking caliper.. There is no sound when the brakes are applied, and i have found it can be cured by a quick hammer on the brakes. Hi tech eh??

Ed

·
Registered
600 Posts
How about (and I could be speaking rubbish)
1. Is it something to do with the ABS (assuming yours has ABS), I used to have an Astra that ticked, apparently there was a speed switch that switches causing ticks at about 10 to 15 mph to activate the ABS. OR
2. Does the ticking still happen at idle ?, it could be the air conditioning system, if it is, you can hear it if you lift bonnet and stand in front of the car.
3. i would doubt there is a stone/grit between pad and disc if it has made noise for 6 weeks. If the noise gets worse round corners (i.e. pads rub slightly more) it could be the piston.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could perhaps be ABS, the stange bit is that you bet 5 or 6 bips, then a short gap, then the bips again ......... No ticks below 15mph.
Can't be A/C (car hasn't got it)
Will try the hammer trick
Thanks all

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, now I am confident
1. is abs (abs works ok, so I leave alone
2. is caliper sticking on n/s front. I tried ramming brake pedal down hard but this hasn't worked. Guess its hammer time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.