Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9000 has developed a slight tapping noise from the rear of the car. It sounds like someone is hitting the car with a biro - nothing loud, just a noise that you can hear with the radio off - and yes I have turned the radio up.

As I am of the 'best fix it before it really breaks' school of thought I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

I've tried applying brakes as it rolls down hill, but nothing changes.
I've tried listening for any grinding noise - again nothing.
It is no worse when I go round corners.
It seems to tap in time to one revolution of the wheel.

Confused from Bristol.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Checking for a stone in the tread is a two man job. One driving slowly forward and the other looking at the tyres. If you try to check the tyre yourself the stone will always be in the bit of tyre in contact with the road.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I jacked up the car and turned the wheels and found nothing in the tyres. I also revolved the wheel to see if the noise was there. Again nothing.

I am not at mechanically minded, so cannot offer any further knowledge but could it be the bearing

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Noises are funny things. Did you check the front tyres?

It could be the bearing I suppose, but with you up close while turning the wheels I would have thought you would have heard something or felt something. Does the wheel wobble at all when off the ground? Even the slightest bit?

Getting desperate now....

flap of rubber peeling from inner sidewall of tyre and touching suspension?

Frequency of tapping something completely different that moves in time to a slightly out of balance wheel?

Stuck on balance weight loose and touching brake caliper?

....... out of ideas.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running out of options too!

Wheels felt solid when I jacked up the car, so bearings it may not be.

The only thing that I have done recently is have a puncture repaired. They drilled a hole through teh tyre and inserted one of the liquorice type things. Maybe it's the long dangly piece inside the tyre hitting the tyre when it revolves.

a.k.a. S Holmes esq.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
The long dangly bit is on the outside and the surplus gets cut off. The circular repair patch is stuck on the inside and the air pressure keeps it in place while it the glue sets etc.

It could be that the patch has come unstuck, but even then I can't see how it would make a loud noise. Did they balance the wheel after putting the patch on?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Things have sort of moved on!

We went to the south coast for the weekend, complete with tapping rear end. On the Monday coming out of a National Trust car park at Thurlston Bay (hello to the other Anniversary who was parked near me) I hit a rut and broke my exhaust

Slightly sporty sound gradually increased to a scaring wildlike and OAPs type of sound. Anyway upshot is I managed to get to Totnes on the Tueday and a ADS(?) garage put a temporary repair on it. Spooky thing is, my tapping noise has now disappeared

·
Registered
161 Posts
David, the tapping could be a failed anti rattle spring on one of the rear calipers.

As for the exhaust, its probably just drowned out the tapping.

Having said all that, if the noise is present with brakes on, then it cant be the anti rattle spring. A bit of dmaged flexi pipe caught down the rear silencer could be the prob!

Be careful here, but have you tried switching off the engine with the windows down to see if its still there, obviously PAS and brakes will be inop/ weaker and you will need to rotate the key to off (not to steering lock) and back before rebooting. Again i dont have to spell out the potential consequences of this, so make sure the engine is at idle before switching off, and your on a nice straight, flat, open and quiet road.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just another update.

It was pointed out to me today that I had lost a wheel nut from the front passenger side of my 9k Anniversary. Could be coincidence, but the tapping has gone as well!

Strange though, because if I had to put money on it I would have bet the noise was coming from the rear.

Oh well, MOT on Thursday - hope Jamsaab don't find anything else wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.