Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I got into my car I felt relaxed and happy, then bang goes the timing chain, had it repaired by a reputable agent. everything was fine for 1000mls. then " check engine" no oil pressure. Long story but no joy from garage (court case. it turned out that they had used hermatite to seal the pump housing and this had jammed the pressure relief valve open. Now when I am in the car I feel apprehensive and I am listening for every knock, squeak etc. anybody else experience this.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I only know personally of one engine failure.

A saab garage owner toasted a 2.3T engine when the oil light came on.

By the time he had stopped (immediatly he says) the crank was toast.

Failure was the oil bypass valve jamming open....

His sales man was not happy!

Andrew

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scaero. luckily it did not do any harm to the engine, chewed the oil pump gears that was all, however to compound matters 2000mls later, whilst waiting for a ferry back from france. the engine would not start. got it back to blighty and found that the crank sensor was all chewed up. they had not used screwloc on the two small mount bolts. The original repair (timing chain) cost 460.00+vat
plus 12 new valves. now it has cost me another 300.00 for parts hence the legal action( luckily my wife is a lawyer so I dont have legal fees.( good point) if anyone has a legal problem just let us know and she will try to give you the best course of action.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't have any choice but to hear the squeaks and rattles at the moment. In a bid to find the source of the water leak in my 9000T boot I have stripped out the rear seats, boot liner, boot carpets and pulled the rear carpets up.

My god is it noisy at the moment, I thought my Mini was loud but now it's like driving along in a big baked bean can!!!

I have found the leak though, it's the rubber seal on the rear hatch, which is a replacement (fast fit no doubt.) Just need to fix the rattly hatch and the noisy fuel pump now

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally posted by Liam L:
[qb]I have found the leak though, it's the rubber seal on the rear hatch, which is a replacement (fast fit no doubt.)  Just need to fix the rattly hatch and the noisy fuel pump now  
       [/qb][/b]
I have been trying to identify and fix a leak in my boot (CSE Anniversary) and have come to the conclusion that the seal doesn't quite meet the lid when closed. I put a bead of silicon sealant on the rubber seal down the right (driver's) side and allowed it to skin over then closed the lid and waited for the silicon to cure.

On opening I found the bead was flat at top and bottom but about 2 mm thick right in the mid section (at the concave bend)

I am going to apply some neoprene sealing strip to the lid in the affected area and see if that does the trick.

Where is your leak and how did you find it?

Dave

·
Registered
203 Posts
I should have said it is leaking where the glass is sealed to the actual hatch frame, it looks like it has had a new rear screen at some point (found some glass under the carpets) and it is leaking at both rear lower corners.

I didn't really need to find it, it was pi55ing in when it rained the other day, I could see it dripping. The problem is it then runs forward and gets under the rear seats and into the rear footwells. When it warms up I will try and reseal the glass, not sure how yet.....

I thought at first it was the rubber boot seal but the only way to see where water is really coming in is to strip out the trim and get someone to pour water over the car while you watch. Its a good excuse to really clean the rear of the car too

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
you can get a glass leak sealer from your local diy or car acces shop i need some last year for my windscreen, it is like water and comes in a can like 3-1 oil, you lift the rubber with a knife or something like that pour the sealer behind this and it will find any gap and seal itdo this at the body and glass side worked a treat for me took 10 min to do the complete windscreen .will have a look for the bottle to find the name for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts