Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 9000 CS and a problem. Lately whenever I drive it, park then shut it off, a lot of pressure starts pushing coolant out of the coolant tank. I screwed the cap on as tight as I can without striping it, and it still pushes about 1 1/2 cups of coolant out which is a big problem cause after a few trips I'm out of coolant. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Josh..when it pushes it out does any gas come out with it or is it just as if the water has expanded too much to fit in the system? Is the radiator fan running after you turn off the engine?

Steve

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You have a overheating problem somewhere in the cooling system, from my experience which had identical symptoms as yours was due to the radiator being blocked with silt. When you stop the car the water is boiling over due to the high block and head temperature which have occurred due to the lack of efficient cooling by the blocked radiator and water and steam expansion is pushing it out of the coolant tank. Does the temp gauge read high when you start to travel fast? Check the bottom of the radiator to see if it is cold or cooler than the top...if it is the rads blocked.
If the head gasket has gone it would blow the water out when running, not necessarily when you switch off..IMOA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts