Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 9000 CDi '89 2000cc 16V isn't starting.
Battery was low so I replaced it, ignition coil also. It sparks great now but I don't seem to have any fuel so it still wont start. Tried towing it without succes. So I planned on checking the fuel pump but I can't locate it, isn't it supposed to be reached from under the backseat ? What else can be wrong ?
By the way, great forum here guys !!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The fuel pump is in the top of the fuel tank. On a CS you fold down the back seat and remove a metal bar nd then remove a section of the boot floor. Not sure how its hidden on the CD but its tucked in right behind the back seats

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fold back the spare wheel access panel,you will see two screws by the hinge,remove,then take out four or five screws from the trim at the very back of the boot,(viewed from the rear) the whole panel can then be removed,you will then see the delivery and return pipes,the pump is beneath.
If you do have to change the pump make sure that you have some fuel line available,it must be able to operate SUBMERGED,if not it will only last hours.
Good luck
mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi KoStre,
Why do you think you have no fuel delivery? Have you pulled a fuel pipe off and see no fuel or are you just guessing?
I ask because, before ripping the fuel pump apart,there may be some other things to check.
It may be worth checking fuses for the pump and fuel injection ( if any )for example. I'm not an expert in this area so no more to say but I may have given you something to think about ( I hope ).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Harvey, I checked all the fuses they're fine.I'm about to check my fuel line today.
I've been trying to start the car for two days and the sparkplugs are real dry . I know I have ignition so it must be the fuel supplie I presume

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I know nothing about this particular model of car, but all Bosch fuel injection systems I've come across have a safety relay that drives the pump(s). The relay cuts power to the pump if the engine stops, e.g. in a crash, so that fuel is not pumped out of broken fuel lines. The fuel pump relay takes an input signal from somewhere in the ignition system, so only runs when the system is firing, and hence the engine running. Some also run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on, to build fuel pressure before starting. You should be able to feel or hear the relay click when you try to start the car. If there is no sign of life, pull out the relay and hot wire across the output terminals (as if the relay were permanently on). If there's still no fuel, then it's almost certainly the pump. If you get fuel, then either the relay, or its signal from the ignition, is defective.

Also, are there not two pumps, a lift pump in the tank, and a high pressure injection pump?

If the engine starts when hot wired, please don't drive too far before getting a new relay, especially during the fire brigade strike!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Most cars I've had with electric fuel pumps have a mechanical trip switch that turns off the electric supply if the car has a impact. Don't know if this applies to your Saab, but on my 1989 Montego the switch was sensitive enough to trip driving over a rough road or dropping off a kerb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most cars I've had with electric fuel pumps have a mechanical trip switch that turns off the electric supply if the car has a impact.  [/b]
Does anyone know if that applies to the CD also ?
I checked power on the fuel-pump (in the fuse box)and this is ok. I loosened a fuel line entering the engine compartment, and tried to start...no fuel was delivered here.
Does this mean the fuel pump is defect or could it still be something else ? Also could it be "plugged" in any way and how can you clean it ?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I strongly suspect that your car is fitted with the "intelligent" relay, as I described above, rather than a mechanical cut out. Just because you have power at the fuse does not mean that power is getting to the pump, if the relay is after the fuse. The Haynes manual has a wiring diagram for this.

·
Registered
353 Posts
if its your fuel pump be prepared to shell out some money. Mine cost £300 to fit ( cost of pump £200( from saab ) , + vat + labour ).

I suppose you could always try getting one from a breakers/used parts place but then you would be taking a bit of a risk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fixed it !
It was the fuel pump. There's a difference between the pump of a CS and one of a CD however.
I took one from a 900i and replaced the top with my own and it works fine, had to remove the fuel level thingie but that came easily off. So for all who care, you can use a 900i pump on a 9000 !
Thanks again everyone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.