Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was driving and my 92 9000s non turbo 5 spd was having trouble getting into first and secong gear. IT kept gettin harder and harder, then nothing u try to put it in first and its in third and second its in fourth. Luckily i was close to home and could get it going on a hill to start off in third. Could it be the shift bushings? Third fourth and fifth are all great. Latley like in the last few months first has been slipping out soemtimes and gettin harder to go in to. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
No No No!

Open the bonnet, look down from the top betwwen the bulkhead and the rear of the engine, slightly ofset to the right (passenger side in UK) of the car. You should see the gearbox shaft coming through with a lingage for adjustment, and then going to a rubber bush about 3 inches tall and 1 inch long and 0.5 inches wide.

If you watch this while someone moves the gearliver to 1st/2nd, you should see the bottom section spliting open.

Tie wraps round this will return use until you can get a replacement.

Another way to check this is wrong is while in 3rd/4th, try pushing the gear lever left, if it does, the above is the problem

Andrew

·
Registered
177 Posts
Common problem with older 9000's - the rubber perishes and splits as Andrew has said. If you buy a new linkage joint from your Saab dealer make sure you get some new pins as well, you will ruin the old ones when you drive them out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.