Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I hope you had a Lovely Christmas yesterday.

3 days ago I heard a loud rattling from the drive belt area, this was followed right away by the car becoming very slow to turn over and start. I removed the drivebelt and spun the pulleys and it all seemed ok ( I am not a mechanic ) I put the belt back on and later that night I went to get in my car to start it and absolutely nothing happened, no crank and no start, no noise.

yet everything else worked , all electrics, lights, radio, blowers, all to full capacity, a jump start did zero to help either. the dashboard lights come on with key in ignition. yet nothing happens with the engine when I go to start it . its as though no battery is on the car but obviously it is and everything else works.

jumpstart did nothing to help but the rac bump started it while it was being towed and it started up.

The battery is not a problem because it was bought new from Halfords 2 months or so ago,
it had a used starter motor fitted about 2 and a half years ago but I noticed there is oil leaking out the bottom of the throttle body box which is above starter motor somewhat so I am wondering if this may have caused it, and if so would I probably fix it by cleaning the connections ?

I checked the starter motor fuse, the circuit looked fine the prongs a bit discoloured but other fuses were same. anything else I should check, should I try cleaning the connections as oil was leaking from above and may have got on connections or something ?

thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
If oil is dripping out of the throttle body it needs taking off and opening up to clean it out, once clean check the 4 large soldered connections on the pcb, they crack and need the solder reflowed. As for it not cranking I would change the starter.

I had a Vectra C 120 (same engine) and had intermittent CEL at starting read codes and they pionted to throttle body, so I renoved it and on opening it was full of oil, but mine had not leaked any out. The oil gets into it because the butterfly shaft seals are worn.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts