Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just had a new tyre at my local fast-fit centre. Saw a notice offering to fill up tyre with pure
nitrogen - man says it can improve economy, roadholding and tyre wear so I had it done ( as only £1.25 per tyre).

Has anyone ever had this done and if so were there any noticeable improvements or is it just complete B*ll(%ks ?.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yep had this done before but it was free!

From chatting to the tyre fitter - Lexus Uk started shipping their cars with Argon or some other gas in the tyres- then people bitched about why ride quality dropped ( as they topped up with O2) - so now they come with just O2 so that no-one notices. It can contribute to better ride and less tyre noise.... so they say.

Apparently lower profile tyres suffer more from leakage than standard tyres- as the gas molecules are larger, it is harder for them to escape. Also it is Supposed to give a better ride. I couldnt notice the difference but hey it was free ( with £200 worth of tyres
) .

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Formula One teams fill their tyres with nitrogen. The reason being is that its supposed to keep the tyre pressures steady when the tyres get hot.

Toby Field (UK)
'93 9000 CSE 2.3T Auto
164,000 Miles

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The reason behind this is that these gases have no moisture in them. O2 has moisture in it and so the air pressure changes when the tyre gets hot. Some places offer Uniflate, which is O2, but with all teh moisture removed so to keep the pressure steady at all temps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.