Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this , should gladden your hearts! The website referenced, for those who haven't come across it, is run by Honest John who is the Daily Telegraph's motoring guru.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree that theres nothing like seeing off the more exotic cars that cost the earth.Proves you don't need a phone number type bank balance to have fun.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Bill's car is an Aero and these were not in production until M93 or 94 I think. In any case, just shows that you don't need a 30-grand car to have a bit of fun

·
Registered
257 Posts
Even when I was a card carrying member of the ****** party - before it became "new" - the Torygraph was the paper of choice for this very reason!

nice stories - I do admire powerful well engineered rear wheel drive cars - but couldn't live with the badge.

(Strange though -I have owned about half a dozen of their motorcycles - totally different image)
Alyn

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Honest John who is the Daily Telegraph's motoring guru[/b]
Sorry to stray off a little, but has anyone looked at the reviews of Saab models on HJ's web site? They all mention Saabscene !

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Woofage (SuSE Linux):
[qb]Bill's car is an Aero and these were not in production until M93 or 94 I think. In any case, just shows that you don't need a 30-grand car to have a bit of fun  
       . [/qb][/b]
Yep, old Saab's give you more bang for your bucks than just about anything. My "old banger" can show most other cars in Tamworth what it looks like from the rear.

·
Registered
963 Posts
[qb]Bill's car is an Aero and these were not in production until M93 or 94 I think. In any case, just shows that you don't need a 30-grand car to have a bit of fun  
       . [/qb][/b]
Good point Couldn't remember what year his mean machine was!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Originally posted by nutcase:
[qb]  QUOTE
[qb] Bill's car is an Aero and these were not in production until M93 or 94 I think.  
             . [/qb][/b]
Good point Couldn't remember what year his mean machine was! [/qb][/b][/quote]I am sure Bill's Aero is an Nreg which would make it MY95/96?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Aye, you may be right. My point was that the 9000 Aero variant was not available until at least 1993 so the car mentioned on HJ's site, a G-plate, could not have been Bill's as I know he has an Aero .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
These beemers are not as quick as they think anyway. My standard 2.3auto saw off a 330ci and my T16 saw off a 325i cab easily.

·
Registered
360 Posts
All good clean fun.
Remember though that the 9000 probably ***was*** a £30K+ car originally. Nice that they keep going so well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
E46 330i has been tested at 0-60 in 5.9 and limited to 155mph - so there not slow...........-- Tandino

True, but the US model pre 2000 M3 would run something like 5.4 seconds 0-60, and The Viggen dispatches those on the freeway on a regular basis. Certainly doesn't just walk away, but does gain two or three car lengths without too much trouble, and relatively quickly.

Indeed the BMW's are not slow by any measure. Musta scared the bejebuz outta the guy in the car behind those two to see that Saab just go
right past it. :

·
Registered
348 Posts
I drove on the Autobahn yesterday, and a new Mercedes e-class was right in front of me. When the 60 kph speed limit (road works) ended, he accelerated like hell. I also opened the throttle, and we did 60 to 220 kph together (40 to 140 mph). He did not leave me standing, but I was definitely not faster than he was... I never met a car before that did this to my MapTun Stage III Viggen. I really would like to know which engine was in that Merc. As it was showing no tailpipes, it might have been a Diesel! I never thought a Diesel would be as fast as a modified Viggen!

Yours,

Philip

Edit: But he was not blowing any smoke, so perhaps it was no Diesel after all, but a V8?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
He did not leave me standing, but I was definitely not faster than he was... I never met a car before that did this to my MapTun Stage III Viggen. I really would like to know which engine was in that Merc.[/b]
And there is probably a guy on a Merc forum somewhere who has spent a fortune on his car asking a similar question about a Saab 9-3

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think the E-Class is available with the 500 (5-litre V8) engine. I have not driven this car but I have driven both the S500 and CL500 (both current shape) and they are very quick cars. Although both very heavy, the V8 engine is very powerful and very sweet!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Maybe an E55 AMG? lol Nah ... probably was the 5.0 V8. It's a great engine. Though, someone could have put some of the AMG stuff on a regular E. He might have been MORE suprised that a "lowly Saab" was still near to his tailpipe.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I dunno about Merc diesels, but I can tell you which Audi diesel will embarrass most of us- the new A8 V8 with 274hp and 480lbft of torque. Boy does it shift! (As I found out the other day )

·
Registered
348 Posts
What made me think it was a diesel is that the tailpipe was completely hidden by the rear bumper. Normally, those big Merc V8 or V12 have big tailpipes as well (the BMW M5 even has 4 of them). This car looked completely stealth.

Yours,

Philip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts