Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the ECU, the major difference between the 9-3/900 Turbo (185bhp) and the 200bhp 9-3 Sport is that the latter has a Viggen I/C and a different wastegate actuator. My Hirsch'd 9-3 has had the intercooler for a while but still has the standard wastegate dealy and due to this, /john's 9-3 Sprout has always been a little quicker off the mark (and we can't have that can we?).

So, when calling at my friendly Saab dealer yesterday for some warranty work (3 days left on the warranty and the ABS unit packs up - total bill I managed to avoid £1560
) I thought I'd ask on the offchance if he had any used Sport actuators lying around and going cheap.
Unbelievably we found one in a pile of bits removed from upgraded cars and it was very cheap (ie. a freebie) - the result? Plenty more
. Did a stint up the A44 from Oxford to Worcester and haven't enjoyed a drive so much in ages. Fantastic road - long clear straights, lots of twisty bits, uppy bits and downy bits and relatively little traffic at 6pm on a Friday night.

Boost comes on that little bit earlier and stays there that little bit longer - not a massive difference, but enough for much enhanced

To anyone that knocks the GM900/9-3, chuck some go faster bits at the engine and slap on some Eibach suspension and big wheels and it is hugely capable motor. For the moment I am very impressed with my 9-3. The only problem with the wastegate actuator upgrade is the price - if you can't find a good used one you are looking at over 300 notes from Saab
and there are no distinguishing part numbers on it to be able to find out the spec and source one elsewhere.

Still got the 3" downpipe to come (lawdy knows when
) and a TD04 is a possible option for the future .

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Nice result There is a place near me that will modify your old wastegate with a new stronger spring,dont know the cost though or how good it would be ???

·
Registered
563 Posts
Very nice mod indeed. Just added the wastegate actuator to my wish list

Hirsch ECU, Viggen intercooler, Forge dumpvalve, Eibach springs, big downpipe, sport exhaust, 17" wheels, Dunlop SP9000, mesh grill and plans for a TD04....somehow your list sounds familiar to me

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Saabman:
[qb]Nice result       There is a place near me that will modify your old wastegate with a new stronger spring,dont know the cost though or how good it would be ??? [/qb][/b]
There are several firms that will supply you with an actuator to your liking, sir, for about £50. The only link I have to hand for this is Motorsport Developments

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Yes that's the company I know near me,but there web site is not up to date as it doesn't display the 2003 price list

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Julian:
[qb] My Hirsch'd 9-3 has had the intercooler for a while but still has the standard wastegate dealy and due to this, /john's 9-3 Sprout has always been a little quicker off the mark (and we can't have that can we?).
[/qb][/b]
Grrrr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts