Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning the following mods over the next few month and wondered if anyone had any better ideas/suggestion.
In order of fitting:
Padgid pads all round
HR springs + dampers (suggestions for dampers)
BSR ECU & Filter
Stainless cat back exhaust (maybe done with ecu if funds allow)

cheers

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
K&N drop-in filter

Modify the intake tube - cut out the old 2" one and stick in a 3" pipe.

Pull out the turbo silencer that's in the intake tube going into the intercooler

polish the insides of the throttle body transition casting - some are quite restrictive. Sanding drums of the correct size and vernier callipers are useful here.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Regarding the dampers, the HR springs are quite stiff, so they work better with stiffer dampers. I have Koni Sport adjustables on my 9-3 with HR springs. With the dampers set full hard, the springs are controlled well. I also know that the Bilstein dampers are pretty stiff as well, so they should work good with the HRs. I am not sure about Abbott's stuff and I don't think the Eibachs will be a good match with HRs as they are designed to work with the Eibach springs which are not as stiff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, may rethink about the H&R springs then, do a 100 mile commute each day, dont mind a firmer ride but dont want it rock hard.
What about an oil cooler, worth the cost?

·
Registered
597 Posts
In my experience, the exhaust will make little or no difference to performance unless the ECU is upgraded (stage 2 for cat back).

I did BSR stage 1 then changed the exhaust later. To take advantage of it, it's going to cost me another £100 and I'll be without the ECU for 10 days.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Chouet:
[qb]In my experience, the exhaust will make little or no difference to performance unless the ECU is upgraded (stage 2 for cat back). [/qb][/b]
A cat-back exhaust with a larger diameter is likely to give a performance gain of around five per cent on a trionic 5 Saab - even with standard ECU.

I have documented this elsewhere on the board with before and after rolling road figures when fitting a cat-back exhaust and, later, a new downpipe/sport cat.

Since the performance gain is only around five per cent with a cat back exhaust, the "seat of the pants" feel is unlikely to detect any discernable power gain.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Chouet:
[qb]In my experience, the exhaust will make little or no difference to performance unless the ECU is upgraded (stage 2 for cat back).

I did BSR stage 1 then changed the exhaust later.  To take advantage of it, it's going to cost me another £100 and I'll be without the ECU for 10 days. [/qb][/b]
I changed from a genuine Saab exhaust with a cat bypass pipe to a full cat free 3" JT exhaust and power went from 202 - 204bhp to 236bhp (from 16bhp under spec to 16 over spec with just that change.

This is on my 1991 2.3 Carly

Andrew

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by offroading.net:
[qb]Hmm, may rethink about the H&R springs then, do a 100 mile commute each day, dont mind a firmer ride but dont want it rock hard.
What about an oil cooler, worth the cost? [/qb][/b]
With that thought, if I were you, I would seriously consider the Eibach Pro Kit that comes with the softer Eibach springs and their dampers to match. I know there are a few people on Saabscene that are very happy with that set-up.

Your car already has an oil cooler. There is no need for another one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Also, the Saab sport cat-back exhaust sold in the USA gave me a 7 hp increase on an at that time otherwise stock engine.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Not sure if you can get the Pagids for rear discs. Elkparts will be able to advise. I am using them on the front of mine with ATE Powerdiscs. I have Eibach springs & standard dampers, BSR/Speedparts stage 1 JT 3" front pipe, Forge by pass valve and JR filter. Only things I haven't changed as yet are uprated dampers and still running standard rear silencers. The other thing you might want to consider is a steering rack brace to tighten up the front end sloppy feel a little.

Mike

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If you can't source aftermarket pads for the rear, do not worry. I use Hawk HPS pads in the front and OEM Saab pads on the rear and had no problems on the Nurburgring. Standard pads in the rear are ok, since 90-97 percent of the braking is done by the fronts anyways.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 sounds good, have you tracked yours yet?  [/b]
Hi offroading

No strictly road use and mostly in a straight line - I think I have some clutch/transmission issues brewing so am treating her gently at present.

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by offroading.net:
[qb]Hmm, may rethink about the H&R springs then, do a 100 mile commute each day, dont mind a firmer ride but dont want it rock hard.
What about an oil cooler, worth the cost? [/qb][/b]
I have got the Eibach springs and new standard shocks on my NG900 and love them. Several non stop drives, apart from fuel and toilet stops, to and from Scotland to Cornwall have been confortable and painless. Personally I would get an Abbotts Viggen Rescue Kit or M&P steering rack brace and pay attention to the rear anti roll bar before changing springs and shocks.
I also have Pagid fast road pads on the front with standard pads on the rear and they work very well together IMO.
Your NG should have and oil cooler as standard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts