Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News travels fast around here!
the other day on a strech of private road, a ricer came up behind me in his skyline GTS-T with a HUGE FMIC on the front of it, behind his $17,000 Veilside bodykit... i thought.. this is a serious skyline.. so as he came up beside me (i was in 2nd) i accelerated up, hit 3rd and the STANDARD aero launched... now, i thought that the skyline wasnt trying, because he was far behind me, and didn't catch up.... now a couple of days later.. 4 people have now asked me if I own the legendary Black Saab that wiped the floor with this skyline!... and my reply is.. i dint think he was trying.

thing is.. If he was trying, I don't know why he didnt keep up with me, or go past, unless his turbo was soo big that by the time his had spooled in whatever gear he was i, I was long gone! either way, people are now (unfortunately) realising saabs are faster thab they think.... I hate to think of how much he is teased that a saab beat him though...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I have been on a race circuit with a skyline. My Saab is 35% more powerful than standard at 270bhp. Despite being driven atrociously, the skyline panned me on the straights - I only caught up with him on corners because he was a bad driver.

Sounds like the skyline driver was not really trying. He'd normally have a Saab for breakfast

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]Sounds like the skyline driver was not really trying.  He'd normally have a Saab for breakfast    [/qb][/b]
Or perhaps doesn't have a clue how to drive his expensive toy.
Just because he can afford it doesn't mean he knows have to drive it properly....

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
did a search on it and this is an extract of one user review (oz web site !!)

This car is quick, but what people say about these cars out running everything on the road is bollocs. I tried racing/dragging Porsche's (old ones at that), a Saab 9000 Carlsson, some slightly modified performance Citroens (BX 16v and a CX turbo), Subarus, a Lotus Elise, a few Ford Falcon XR6 non turbo and turbo variants, the list goes on, this car just could not get going fast enough to match all the guff that people said about it. I feel that my old Citroen BX 16 valve could get going quicker and that was a non turbo vehicle.
soo....
full thing here... http://www.carsurvey.org/review_69007.html
sounds as if it has some serious lag/traction problems ...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
You've got to remember that the jap car fans often get a little bit over excited when it comes to making things BIGGER, i.e. the exhaust the intercooler and of course the turbo. Soooooo .... consequently a lot of the monster skylines have manic top end power and absoultely no mid range torque whatsoever. So unless the drivers very good at stirring the gears they could be rather slow.

I have been on a race circuit with a skyline.[/b]
Yeah, that bloke didn't have a clue about racing lines IIRC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts